De Blob

sephfire

De-Blob-US.jpg

Hadn't heard much about it before renting it. Nowadays, I generally assume a Wii game will suck until I hear otherwise, so this has been a great surprise.

I'm a sucker for games like Okami where the world is dead and drab and it's your job to spruce it up bit by bit, bringing it back to life. That is what this game is all about. You roll around, changing and mixing colors and re-colorize an oppressed city. It's got great style, great art direction and animation and decent controls, despite a bit of the usual unnecessary Wii "waggling."

And the soundtrack is fantastic. It's like a funky Jet Set Radio Future. Plus, the music changes dynamically depending on your color and adds a bit of flair when you paint a new object.

I would almost call this the Wii's Katamari Damacy, It's not perfect, a little repetitive and I wish the waggle controls could be mapped to buttons, but this is one of the better games I've seen for the Wii in a while. Here's a trailer.

Anyone else tried this out?

I own it. It's awesome, and reminds me of Katamari in terms of progression. That is, the levels don't really get much harder, but the exploration is just so intense and the game so stylish that you fall in love with it immediately.

And despite his generic "radical" appearance, Blob is actually a pretty funny, neat character. I'm currently on stage 5, but I decided I need to BEAT some games before coming back to de Blob (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, I shall vanquish thee!).

Glad to hear some feedback from actual gamers, instead of reviewers. I've been impressed by what I've seen but my question is this: is it worth purchasing or better to rent?

I'd rent it first just to make sure it's your thing. It shouldn't take too long to decide whether or not it's the kind of game you're going to enjoy.