Don't Use XNA Game Studio

The Pezman

Like, seriously.

I pulled it up tonight in order to present tomorrow on the development I did over the summer. I figure I'll just install the XNA Runtime environment... That needs .net, but I download and install it. I click on the executable game... no dice, it doesn't open. Fuck. So I decide to download the developer's center to recomplile it. That needs Microsoft Visual Studio C# 2005 (no, 2008 won't work. 2005). And the Service Pack. So I download all that crap and finally get the Runtime environment going. I try to open the project... "This project is not supported." What the fuck? So I import the code to a new project manually. Then it tells me the font isn't compiling, apparently it doesn't work for "this version." I don't even know which version this is compared to last time.

Jesus Christ, has this been ridiculous. It's turned me off from ever using the program again. I'll bet Flash doesn't have half this many workarounds and compatibility issues. Beware XNA, gentlemen.

I've been doing Flash for awhile now, and it isn't half as complicated as that sounds. I'm guessing from the Google results that XNA Game Studio is what you use to make Xbox Live Community games? How in-depth is it? Is it anything like RPG Maker (or that kind of game development program?)

It's nothing like RPG Maker, it's closer to something like C++ - definitely a programming environment.

Also, you kind of HAVE to use XNA to develop for Xbox Live/Community Games, so no point in really saying not to use it. Anyone who wants to develop for that platform has to.

Exactly. I have this but I haven't had a chance to really mess with it yet. It seems like it just uses pieces of lots of other microsoft programming evnironments and languages like visual basic and visual studio.

I've been composing for some developers using XNA Game Studio and they haven't had many issues with 3.0. Still not the best at handling audio from what I've heard but they're working on it.

I think it's fantastic they're giving this out for free and enabling tons of people to release games on XBL (albeit not under the Xbox Live Arcade title, instead Xbox Live Community Games). I'm pretty sure many developers will get publishing deals if they create a game that does well on Community Games.

NOW IT JUST HAS TO LAUNCH IN THE REST OF THE WORLD TOO >:'(

It's nothing like RPG Maker, it's closer to something like C++ - definitely a programming environment.

Also, you kind of HAVE to use XNA to develop for Xbox Live/Community Games, so no point in really saying not to use it. Anyone who wants to develop for that platform has to.

XNA is a API library above directx, that facilitates the use of 3D drawing, perspective etc (well 1.0 was anyway, 3.0 may already be more game oriented) ^^. I think the only way to use it is in C# or VB.NET with Visual Studio 2005 (for 1.0) or Visual Studio 2008 (for 2.0, i think :/)