Made My own Synth... like... thing... yeah. Check it out :D

SenPi

So I posted in another thread a while ago that I was making some form of synth with an FPGA for school. Well it was due on sunday, and I have posted a video of what I ended up getting accomplished.

All in all.. it was a pretty fun project. I just wish I had more time cause I know I could have made it way better.

Either way, enjoy :P

This is really cool :). Are you using wavetables for this or...?

Yeah I made some wavetables from sratch cause I couldnt find any online lol.

Thats pretty sweet, man. I've been looking into doing something like that recently. I may actually do it now :). Hopefully we can hear some remixes utilizing that ;)

Haha maybe... the FPGA is lent to us from the school... so I'll probably have to give it back really soon... maybe I'll buy my own some day.

C 0 0 L indeed, haha.

polyphony was a bitch for me, too.

Well.. I figured out a decent way to get more than 1 key working at once, but the big problem was my wave combining algorithm. Since I wasnt allowed to use signed values (i.e -xxx to + xxx) my 16 bit waveform tables were weird and I guess I couldnt properly figure out the math to combine them. (Also it didnt help that reading in midi data was a bitch.. I must have screwed something up cause I was missing some data every once and again. Like when the keys "stick" its because I didnt receive a NoteOff signal for that key. It was weird)

Lets say were looking at a wave table graph

|

|

|

|

--------------------------------------------------------------------

|

|

|

|

Well, middle was 0 (as usual), middle +1 = 1, Top = 32767, Middle - 1 = 65535, Bottom = 32768

so yeah.. it was kinda funky. But doing this makes me want to make some sort of VST or standalone vst type thing.

• 3 weeks later...