Writing an article about musicians, need your help

zircon

I'm working on an article for my music business blog, SoundTempest, about the state of the modern recording industry today and how artists are surviving (or not surviving) in it. What I'd like to do is to interview a variety of working artists from around the world to see what they're doing and if it's working. I'll take these contributed facts and statistics, then organize, analyze and present them.

If you're an artist and you're interested in helping out - hey, it's free publicity for you if you're used in the article - then shoot me an email (admin@soundtempest.net) with the following info:

* Artist name

* Real name (First name, last initial, unless you want to release all of it)

* Website

* City, Country

Then, please answer the following questions. You don't have to write a whole lot, just as much as you feel comfortable witih.

* What's your story as an artist? ie. Where did your career start and how has it progressed until today? Feel free to talk about number of albums you've released, major shows/accomplishments, and so on.

* How much income did you earn in 2008 from music or related activities (ie. music teaching, sample development, sound design, live gigs)? If you don't want to give a specific number or estimate, then just pick a general range: <$300, $300-1,000, 1,001-5,000, $5k-10k, $10k-$20k, $20k-40k, $40k+

* What was the breakdown of your music-related income streams, on a percentage basis? If you don't have exact numbers, just estimate. For example, 25% from CD sales, 50% from gigging, 25% from licensing.

* How many hours per week, approximately, do you spend on your career (whether that's practicing your instrument, brushing up on synth stuff, managing finances, or anything else that could fall under that umbrella)

* Anything other facts about you and your career that you might find relevant to this discussion. The more info, the better!

What qualifications are you looking for in artists? Is it simply anybody who's made money from their music?

I haven't released any actual albums or anything like that, but make some money here and there by writing music for gymnastics routines -- are you interested in hearing from me on this?

Sure - anyone that's made money from their music and doesn't just consider themselves as 100% hobbyists (ie. plenty of people mess around on guitar and piano but don't have a home studio, don't play gigs, etc.)