VG Opinion Poll #9

glasfen

Number nine... number nine...

...Ahem!

Veteran Gamer Opinion Poll #9

Gaming has come a long way since Pong and the advent of digital entertainment. I remember playing Sub Hunt and Ski on a green and black screen TRS-80. Those games loaded from cassette tapes. Then we got a NES and I graduated to games in color with controllers!

It seems that we are now at a point in the history of gaming where the major aesthetic obstacles of video and audio quality have been addressed. I mean, look at some of the 360 and PS3 games out there now (not to mention PCs)! Sure they're not 100% lifelike, but what's the point in getting any closer? You might as well go paintballing or join a live roleplayers' club. The main focus in immersion for this generation of consoles is the controller.

The Wiimote broke new ground for controllers with its motion-sensitivity. Now, whether you agree with waggling or not, this has become the new "it" for console gaming. But here's the question: What's next? What will define the next generation of gaming as the new immersive technology?

a) Virtual Reality helmets

B) the return of the Power Glove! (or something like it)

c) full-body motion capture

d) nothing, this is as far as it will go

e) something else (feel free to elaborate or invent!)

Vote and be heard! PM me for anything else.

I'm thinking something of a cross between b and c.

A sensor you can wear on multiple parts of your body, and each game has its own uses for the sensor. I.E. On the hands for a fighting game, arms for a shooter, legs for a dancing game (blah, nasty taste in my mouth). All sorts of combinations would be possible. Street Fighter V with full body controls? The obesity rate would PLUMMET.

hey

HEY

fuck you

Haha. Easy killer, I didn't say I didn't like PEOPLE who like dancing games. Simply for the fact that I would tend to resemble a giant tan Gumby in a strobe light if I attempted one, I stay away. Rejoice for my decision, as it allows people like you to rest easy with peaceful dreams.

If it's a poll, where are the boxes to crosscheck, and the colored status bar to follow progress or something?

Anyoo, I think it's about time we forgive the poor Gunpei Yokoi and his Virtual Boy.

Time to turn and face the future. It's about time we get those damn virtual reality helmets!

Oh they sure can make them. In fact they could have been doing it for a long time already.

But that will never happen. Why? Way too many epileptic-death cases on their conciences that's why.

So I guess now, everybody will stick to their Power-Fist MkII & enjoy their digital-selves. :mrgreen:

B and E.

Hand articulations have yet to be fully taken advantage of. We can move our fingers in more productive ways than to press buttons or Dpads or analog sticks.

And it'll be lame but somehow interpreting thoughts or concentration levels will be next.

I do NOT choose C because I don't think it'll catch on and I don't think interesting games can be made by detecting the motions of your entire body; a gimmick for a few cheesy titles maybe, but nothing that will grab you through a 2 week long RPG.

also, how many times do I have to tell you, mokram, don't put stuff in the "title" part of your post

anyway,

(vote in red)

a) We've been doing VR helmets forever and they have yet to catch on, so I don't think so.

B) This seems to me to be the most attractive out of what you've given for possible "future technology". Like someone said, using more of the articulation that the human hand has could make for some pretty awesome control. I'd worry about the accuracy of such a controller, but it could be really cool.

c) Nope. Waaaay too much effort. I can see it for maybe a few webcam kind of games, maybe, but not on any kind of large scale. Besides, this idea has also been around for ages and has yet to "catch on".

d) Honestly, I still see this as the most likely thing to happen for a good while yet. I can imagine VR becoming the way to do it in the (far) future, but people have been wanting to do VR for like thirty years and it still hasn't happened without being expensive, ridiculous, or both.

Virtual reality helmets only provide visual stimuli, which screens already provide. The only difference is that there are no borders to the "screen" on a VR helmet. It also looks goofy as hell.

I have used the Powerglove (and all kinds of devices meant for input/output on body parts) and unless there's some huge breakthrough with technology, these are not going to be anything exciting. These also suffer from the "goofy as hell" syndrome (see VR helmets)

I have tried games that use a camera and/or sensors to utilize full body motion and individual limb movement. They are far too inaccurate and annoying.

Which one would I like to see? A combination of all three.

VR helmets provide excellent immersion. The ability to physically turn your head and see what is beside you is amazing and really draws you into the action. Force feedback and motion sensors provide a level of finesse that cannot be harnessed through analog stick or buttons. And full body motion would obviously complete process. How do we do this with current technology?

make a helmet that holds the WII REMOTE ON YOUR HEAD.

There are already screen available to attach to cap visors and such to provide a truly "boundless" visual.

The wii remote's axis can be mapped to normal analog stick control. Even crouching since the wii remote reads lift as well as pitch and yaw.

The wii remote's speaker can be routed into speakers in the helmet

The nunchuck controller can be held in the player's hand to used for controls. There's already accelerometers, two buttons and an analog stick on the nunchuk, which should be enough controls with all the looking controls mapped to the wii remote. An added bonus would be using the infared sensor to track your head's movement.

BTW if there's anyone with some programming skill who wants to discuss and work on this we should totally do it. I've been thinking about this idea for a while.

regular users can't make polls

Where did you get the idea I wanted to make a poll?!

I was refering to the possibility for users to check the boxes in order to vote. :roll:

Jeez....

03.png

also, how many times do I have to tell you, mokram, don't put stuff in the "title" part of your post

ahem... sir, excuse me but

HEY

fuck you

This side up. Handle with care. :mrgreen:

My vote:

e) something else (feel free to elaborate or invent!)

= tracking/capturing eye movement

The same way a mouse operates, but your eyes will move the cursor, while you could hold a controller to do things like "click" or otherwise.

I don't think any innovation that'll increase the movement or effort to play every game will catch on for long. With the Wii, most of its extra capabilities only come out in certain games (in the better ones, it's not done arbitrarily either--you're not shaking the controller to select menu options in RPGs, for instance, but just hitting the down button)--really, I think the Wii's success can be attributed to more judicious use of the Wiimote's capabilities in its games: the more active the game, the more active your use of the controller. Also, Nintendo's had a lot of experience with peripherals--more of them failures than successes.

There're already developments for this in PCs (as a mouse replacement), so the technology isn't too far off. It's only a matter of time before it gets incorporated into console gaming. KF

regular users can't make polls

And it wasn't in the budget. :(

make a helmet that holds the WII REMOTE ON YOUR HEAD.
An added bonus would be using the infared sensor to track your head's movement.

So how about a VR helmet with IR sensors, as well as a few on one or both hands? I, too, have thought about this leap in gaming for a while, but can't figure out how to incorporate movement without a controller, balance board, or treadmill. Maybe they'll just stick some brainwave sensors to our scalps or input into our brains (I can see the adds now: "Nintendo Mynd, apply directly to the cerebrum!")

tracking/capturing eye movement

I like. Very nouveau-tech.

Where did you get the idea I wanted to make a poll?!

I was refering to the possibility for users to check the boxes in order to vote. :roll:

What you are referring to, my dear sir, is indeed commonly referred to as a poll.

I respectfully request that you double check your terms in the future.

signed,

-Gollgagh

Post script:

This side up. Handle with care. :mrgreen:

Your meaning is utterly lost upon me.