Looking to build a cheap ass comp for my dad

SenPi

My dads current comp is some old thing that I put together from a few old computers. Its been giving us grief for the past few year or two so ive convinced him to get a new one.

Now all he uses it for is basiclly internet,email,pictures, and some accounting programs or something. So it doesnt need to be all that great.

I have a PSU, and I'll be getting the HD and Case locally. As for the other parts, I'm wondering if this sounds like a good choice.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ 1066FSB 3MB Retail Box

In Stock 31411 $166.57 $166.57

Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 1GB 2X512MB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

In Stock 18585 $55.90 $55.90

ASUS P5KPL-CM mATX Intel G31 LGA775 1PCI-16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard

In Stock 30765 $73.78 $73.78

Also a questions for the more savvy computer people out there: Will these parts work together? This is the main thing I need to know before I go ahead and order them.

Thanks

Since the Motherboard you want to purchase is fairly new (in terms of technology), the rest of the things you plan to purchase have to be new also. Since your mobo supports 1333/1600mhz for the FSB, you need a processor which can also be compatible. I picked out a simple 1333mhz processor which is close to the one you originally planned to purchase cost-wise.

Assuming you have a good PSU, then everything should be working fine. However, since the motherboard you plan on buying supports DDR2 1066 then I would reap the rewards and buy memory that can fit that as well. It is the...

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066.

If you buy those items online on newegg then you would be saving about 40$ from the ram with rebate and the mobo itself.... assuming the shipping is free. However, it can also be said that if you get a downgraded mobo, then the cost of the items you are looking to purchase can be significantly cut. I looked for items that are compatible with the memory standards and the FSB of your mobo and acted accordingly.

I would double check with people who are far more computer saavy. I have some light experience with building computers and if I were to update/build a computer I would buy those exact items. Have fun!

My dads current comp is some old thing that I put together from a few old computers. Its been giving us grief for the past few year or two so ive convinced him to get a new one.

Now all he uses it for is basiclly internet,email,pictures, and some accounting programs or something. So it doesnt need to be all that great.

I have a PSU, and I'll be getting the HD and Case locally. As for the other parts, I'm wondering if this sounds like a good choice.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ 1066FSB 3MB Retail Box

In Stock 31411 $166.57 $166.57

Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 1GB 2X512MB DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

In Stock 18585 $55.90 $55.90

ASUS P5KPL-CM mATX Intel G31 LGA775 1PCI-16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard

In Stock 30765 $73.78 $73.78

Also a questions for the more savvy computer people out there: Will these parts work together? This is the main thing I need to know before I go ahead and order them.

Thanks

for a cheapo computer, i'd go with an athlon processor. they're way cheaper as a whole.

go with a 3ghz windsor for the processor (90$). the windsor is a little older than the 7300's design but will compare favorably for the cost.

for the mobo, go with either a cheaper or name-brand model. they're about the same in terms of quality, so pick what features you want. most boards over 65$ are designed for overclocking or extreme stability in weird conditions, so this should work fine.

for ram, the performance difference between 1 and 2 gigs is significant, so use some of the money you saved to buy 2 1gb sticks of G.SKILL ram. you could go cheaper, but it's only 30$.

that'll hold you over. the cpu comes with a fan if you buy retail, so you're set there. what're you doing for an optical drive? LG's popular burner is only 25$ and it's probably one of the best out there. cost is so close to a -rom drive you should just get a burner. also, with this stuff being as low-heat as it is, you should look into the microATX desktop and microATX mini tower for case sizes. they're REALLY small, and would power this really easily. just look for free shipping deals and you're golden - WAY cheaper than in a store, really. and as long as your psu has at least 250w, you'll be fine for power.

hope this helps.

ahh mephisto you were the guy I was hoping would reply. As for optical drive/psu/hd/case I will be getting those locally (I already have a decent psu and optical drive).

As for the rest, I'll check out those links you posted.

Thanks alot guys

EDIT: hmm this all looks fine and dandy except the mobo doesnt have on board video. I was hoping to not have to buy a video card.

Can you recommend something cheep (no games whatsoever will be played on this, and also needs to have a vga port, since the monitor is an old crt, and we dont need to buy a new monitor), the gfx card could be dvi I guess. Coming with a dvi->vga would be nice.

ahh mephisto you were the guy I was hoping would reply. As for optical drive/psu/hd/case I will be getting those locally (I already have a decent psu and optical drive).

As for the rest, I'll check out those links you posted.

Thanks alot guys

EDIT: hmm this all looks fine and dandy except the mobo doesnt have on board video. I was hoping to not have to buy a video card.

Can you recommend something cheep (no games whatsoever will be played on this, and also needs to have a vga port, since the monitor is an old crt, and we dont need to buy a new monitor), the gfx card could be dvi I guess. Coming with a dvi->vga would be nice.

the foxconn board is actually pretty nice, all told, and has a radeon 2100 internal. but this asus model and this gigabyte board both have good onboard video. would that work?

If you want to save yourself the hassle of putting the thing together, and score a 1080p monitor (Samsung 2333SW, $210 AR at Newegg) while you're at it, you might consider this. Just saw it on SlickDeals and thought it looked pretty decent. If your dad doesn't need the monitor, you could use it for a dual screen setup. :)

hah, parallel port printing? that's REALLY old, most printers in the last ten years use BIDI, which is the super-long port that has the printer near it on most motherboards. biggest port in regular use today (just slightly bigger than IDE).

Wait... is this pink thing

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=13-186-151-S02&ISList=13-186-151-S01%2c13-186-151-S02%2c13-186-151-S03%2c13-186-151-S04%2c13-186-151-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813186151&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=Foxconn%20A74MX-K%20Micro%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard%20-%20Retail)

Not a Parallel Port? cause thats what my printer connects to, and im pretty damn sure thats a parallel port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Parallel_computer_printer_port.jpg

Ive never even heard of this BIDI you speak of (and google search brings up nothing really)

If you want to save yourself the hassle of putting the thing together, and score a 1080p monitor (Samsung 2333SW, $210 AR at Newegg) while you're at it, you might consider this. Just saw it on SlickDeals and thought it looked pretty decent. If your dad doesn't need the monitor, you could use it for a dual screen setup. :)

Well unfortunately that deal is over. So I guess I still need to go to my old plan.