Halo - Dawn of a New Age - WIP - Collaborators and Feedback Welcome

Sweendrix

The very start of the track sounded a bit abrupt to me. I guess you could do a quick fade-in there, but it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, i agree with that there. Also, it seems the overall volume is a lot quieter than it could be. When the drums come in they should be a lot more powerful than pushed as far back as they are. It also seems to end very abruptly for some reason.

Looking forward to the next update.

When I post these mixes it's not always polished and sometimes i probably post to quickly...but better here than to the judges. I definately have the same feeling as you do about the volume and the drums...and since this was the "idea track"...I go back to square one...first making the drum mix...then the guitar/synth mix...and then to mastering. I don't generally use the greatest equipment in the world when i'm mixing vgm...basically...I just have my guitar plugged into the sound card of my computer...and I manipulate that sound for pretty much everything that you hear. As for the mix...you will definately be hearing some good things in the next post...i'm amazed at how it is coming together...it's really sounding solid. Now if only I had a good drum program...ugh...lol.

Yeah, i agree with that there. Also, it seems the overall volume is a lot quieter than it could be. When the drums come in they should be a lot more powerful than pushed as far back as they are. It also seems to end very abruptly for some reason.

Looking forward to the next update.

First off, I really like your playing style and tone - most of the guitarists I hear want that in-your-face rock sound, but you go with a more chill, crunchy approach. It's a refreshing change, at least for me.

That said, this mix is shaping up nicely - your drums sound OK for the most part (I really like the loop that comes in at 1:37), but there is a really annoying hi-hat loop that is far too piercing for what it does in the mix. It begins at the start of the song and repeats throughout the entire arrangement... I would turn it down and eq it, cause it really does stick out like a sore thumb.

Not sure about the vocals. They work, but they add a sort of "cheese" factor that I'm not sure the song needs. It's your call, though. And I do like the sampled game music - you integrated it very well.

One thing I think you need more of is the actual theme - your arrangement is awesome, but the judges may think it is too liberal. Just a friendly heads up - I've had several mixes rejected for that reason.

Also, is the fade out the true ending? You have too much of a buildup there to just fade out - we need some resolution.

I really like where this is going - definitely looking forward to the next update!

I've got a new mix available if you are interested... http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=185

First off, I really like your playing style and tone - most of the guitarists I hear want that in-your-face rock sound, but you go with a more chill, crunchy approach. It's a refreshing change, at least for me.

That said, this mix is shaping up nicely - your drums sound OK for the most part (I really like the loop that comes in at 1:37), but there is a really annoying hi-hat loop that is far too piercing for what it does in the mix. It begins at the start of the song and repeats throughout the entire arrangement... I would turn it down and eq it, cause it really does stick out like a sore thumb.

Not sure about the vocals. They work, but they add a sort of "cheese" factor that I'm not sure the song needs. It's your call, though. And I do like the sampled game music - you integrated it very well.

One thing I think you need more of is the actual theme - your arrangement is awesome, but the judges may think it is too liberal. Just a friendly heads up - I've had several mixes rejected for that reason.

Also, is the fade out the true ending? You have too much of a buildup there to just fade out - we need some resolution.

I really like where this is going - definitely looking forward to the next update!