Ghostbusters The Video Game

Cerrax

So I picked this up the day it was released and so far I enjoy it.

The gameplay feels a little awkward at first but once you get into it, it works well enough. Wrangling and trapping ghosts is really fun, but you don't get to do it as much as I'd like too. There's also a bit of exploration with the PKE meter but its pretty linear and beside searching for cursed artifacts and scanning ghosts, its not very useful or fun.

For as hard as they're pushing the fact that it's written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis, the dialogue feels somewhat forced and there are parts that are just plain awkward. Overall though it greatly straddles the same delicate line as the movies between utter cheese and true serious dialogue.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and it feels like it may not live up to the hype. Also since I am a huge Ghostbusters fan, I tend to have a bias towards the whole game.

Thoughts anyone?

As a stand-alone game without the Ghostbusters name attached to it its definitely above average. The gameplay isn't terribly polished, but its not clunky or annoying. The enemies in particular seem to have a tough time navigating obstacles sometimes. But considering how slow you move with the proton pack on, it kind of works out.

The graphics are pretty nice and the new Infernal Engine for the physics works quite nicely. No twitching dead bodies or bouncing objects (unless they have been possessed :P ). And it handles lots of object simultaneously without any slowdown. The characters do look a little awkward, but I'll chalk that up to the fact that the 360 can't replicate human likeness that well. Probably the closest I've seen is Hugh Jackman's likneness in Wolverine and even that is a bit of a stretch.

I don't know what else to say without spoiling it. If you're a Ghostbusters fan, this game shouldn't disappoint, and if you're not, it's still worth a look.

I just finished the single-player campaign. Kinda short, but fun. Wish it was longer. It seems like there's a lot more to do online, which is unfortunate for people who aren't online. I have yet to try bustin' with some friends on XBox Live.

Do I get to fulfill my 20-year-long dream of fighting the Scolari brothers?

Unfortunately no. In fact, the game is based almost entirely on the first movie. The only things from the second movie are the painting of Vigo and the slime guns.

But trust me there are some nasty ghosts to take on. I just wish the single player was longer, I was just starting to get into it when it ended.