The revival of project MREO. Musicians wanted.

Haburi

Greetings to you all, talented people of OCR. =P

I think I understood the rules and there seemed to be not a single one forbidding this so I'll go ahead and post it here.

You might all be familiar with http://www.zreomusic.com/ They're pretty famous for their own digital orchestrated remixes of various zelda tunes.

A while back, some members of the ZREO forums tried to launch a similar project called MREO, which basically involves doing the same thing, but with Metroid music.

You might know, or not know, some of the members as Beacon515L, Cloudystrifee and Skotein. More will probably be coming, but thus far those are the only ones we've been able to find.

Put simple. We're (a forum which will be unnamed due to security issues.) reviving it. The site design is almost done, but it isn't open to the public yet.

Here are some examples as to what is done already:

Metroid Title theme:

http://www.box.net/shared/ozxmd3x2ol

Samus' appearance:

http://www.box.net/shared/d0zp8p6bhy

Not orchestrated, but serve as an example as to what other things Beacon515L can do:

Metroid Prime 3: Bryyo:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/211929

Tallon IV:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/214069

Brinstar Green:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/214053

Brinstar Red:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/218261

Now, what we are looking for are some remixers willing to make orchestral versions of various Metroid themes. If you are interested, please PM me. I will make sure that you can get the proper access to the hidden board on the unnamed forum. (Which I will of course share as well.)

Thanks in advance. Help is much appreciated.

i might be interested on giving it a shot.

are these finished versions, though, or just WIPs? i'm only asking because the demos aren't the best of audio quality. also, are all tracks supposed to be orchestrated, or just remixes? because that tallon mix is totally not an orchestra playing :<

there's no limit to posting here, although you'd have gotten noticed more in community. i think this'll probably get moved there sooner or later.

i might be interested on giving it a shot.

are these finished versions, though, or just WIPs? i'm only asking because the demos aren't the best of audio quality. also, are all tracks supposed to be orchestrated, or just remixes? because that tallon mix is totally not an orchestra playing :<

there's no limit to posting here, although you'd have gotten noticed more in community. i think this'll probably get moved there sooner or later.

Nah, those are just some example on what Skotein and Beacon515l can do. They linked those to us for our own listening pleasures so I thought it'd be nice to let everybody know with what co-workers you might be dealing with.

Right. I didn't know about that. :shock:

Well clearly I'd have to add some new stuff, I'm just asking if its supposed to be like a VALSE AERIS for each track or if we can follow the song structures of the original. I don't care to add more horns, harps, string bits and other backing, but I'm way too exhausted with music to do a whole big remix.

Plus I fucking broke the headphones that virtually saved my music career and because KOSS doesn't know how to label their shit, I can't get a replacement. :(

Much like ZREO, we are following the original structure. Hence it would be closer to an 'orchestral cover' than anything else. It doesn't even have to be pretty long. If you look around the site, you can see that some of the songs don't even take 2 minutes. It's all just the idea that the metroid tracks are orchestrally remixed.

Ahoy, all. :) I'm the second in command for this project, working alongside another friend (who's first in command, and whose idea this was) to get this project up and running. (Along with the generous help of many others, such as Harubi) The ZREO team has been amazingly helpful to us with this (Especially the ZREO creator and their server manager)

I'll touch up on a few already asked questions here. :)

First of all, the examples given are not complete examples that are going to be used, aside from one or two of them. Most are examples that were the last time this project was tried, but they're a bit to... 'technoy' and 'synthetic' sounding (For lack of any better terms) for what we're aiming for here. As Harubi as stated, we want to follow the original structure of the songs as best as possible, while being able to retain that 'orchestrated' feeling and sound. Much like ZREO amazingly accomplishes. If you even want a sample of what this project aims to create, go listen to some of their work if you haven't already. :P

The tracks, when they are finished, should sound much more 'orchestrated' like, and should have some degree of consistency in how they sound when they're completed.

If you're interested in helping, in any way, please do not hesitate to send me, or Harubi, a PM. :)

I want to help, but I need some sort of schedule idea. Time is an issue with me.

My sights right now are on the Frigate piano song from Metroid Prime. I want that one if I can pull it off.

There is no specific scheduled end for the project. It's an ongoing project which fans can listen to as it's being completed. I expect it to take a while, and there's no real issue about when anyone's able to get something in. (Once we get the site all completed and can start focusing on the music part of the project more, I'd like to have at least one song released a week.)

You're free to do that song if you wish. :) If it's the song I'm thinking of, then it just so happens to be my favorite song from Prime. :P

Alright... well, with a sort of time table and availability of tracks and such I might be interested. I've been looking for an excuse to really touch up my orchestration technique, and this looks like a good opportunity.

I don't know how much time I've got right now, but I may do something with this in a few weeks or a month. Who knows - I'll pm you about it if I remember and have a track :).

Alright. Thanks to the three of you for your interest. Your help is appreciated a lot as we are still running low on musicians (4 with one of them unheard of). :razz:

Again, PM me or Zervic and we'll give you the name of the forum we cannot mention for secrecy issues so you can sign up and get the proper board access. I'd like to mention that the aforementioned forum is also going to be affiliated with ZREO and we're hosting the official MREO site on their server.

This is going to be great when it's all done.

long story short, i can take anyone's arrangement and run it through vienna symphonic library (a recent acquisition of mine). so if you're running short on synths, or only have finale or sibelius, we can work something out easily. i can also take whatever trash you put out and make it make sense. having a degree in this stuff makes that kind of work really easy.

if you actually don't know what vsl is, it's the most realistic and extensively sampled orchestral library available today. it's also ridiculously expensive. i need to justify getting this thing.

i'd appreciate if you could post this info on your forums, wherever they are, for other musicians as well.

long story short, i can take anyone's arrangement and run it through vienna symphonic library (a recent acquisition of mine). so if you're running short on synths, or only have finale or sibelius, we can work something out easily. i can also take whatever trash you put out and make it make sense. having a degree in this stuff makes that kind of work really easy.

if you actually don't know what vsl is, it's the most realistic and extensively sampled orchestral library available today. it's also ridiculously expensive. i need to justify getting this thing.

i'd appreciate if you could post this info on your forums, wherever they are, for other musicians as well.

You're an expert/professional/whatever you call it... You don't happen to be interested in joining the team, do you? D: Someone who completely knows what they're doing and is able to give a kind of guidance to others perfecting their skills on the team doesn't come along very often, and would be a terrific addition to the team. :P

Again, if you both are really interested, you should come over to the actual project board. That way you can communicate with the other composers as well.

We're not asking for a full time devotion. Any little tidbit can help and it doesn't take too long to register there.

i come from a classical background, and i've been arranging classical (i.e. orchestral) pieces since i was twelve. i think i can help out, some =)

i can speak for myself, meteo :<

Cool. :o I don't expect you, or anyone else for that matter, to do all the work. That's why we're putting together a team. I'll drop you a PM in a few minutes. :)

• 2 weeks later...