Super Mario Bros. AI Challenge

Broken

I just saw this on discovery.com. It's a challenge to AI programmers to create a system that can defeat a Super Mario Bros. game faster than human competitors. The coolest thing in my opinion is that the person hosting the tournament is creating a new set of levels specifically for the challenge.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/08/17/super-mario-brothers.html

Yeah, to be honest, the first thing I thought of when I read about this was watching this on a massive screen like in The Wizard.

AI has always fascinated me. I'd like to read more about some of the different programming techniques the competitors are using.

I have a hard time believing humans could possibly compete with that kind of reaction speed and accuracy. The AI could easily stumble in levels that require a creative approach to proceed, which some romhacks have, but those are unlikely to come up since the stages are created by a random level generator.

As long as the levels have no pipes to explore, and only scroll in one direction, humans won't stand a chance.

If you pit an AI against a human in say, the Ghost House levels from SMW, humans would have a better chance.

Unless you get several tries and can memorize the map

I suppose it also has to do with how much is available to the AI, because if the AI was capable of scanning the rom in order to have the entire layout of the level at once then I don't think a human could win... but from the looks of the videos I've seen, only the current visible area is available for the AI to process.

EDIT: Yup, only the visible area can be used.