Gran Turismo 2 - Castle Over Moon (critique plz :{ )

LuketheXjesse

Current Remix

My submission for Freshly Baked Remixer Challenge - I really enjoyed the original source, and I want to do it total justice, so here's what I got so far. It doesn't really have an ending yet (getting a certain remixer to help me a bit with it) but for now I'm not too worried about that. Anyhoo, all comments and feedback are appreciated. Feel free to unload any hatred or displease you have with this remix.

EDIT: Newest - http://www.tindeck.com/listen/uebh

Hmm I listened to this yesterday :P

Drums sound mechanical... use velocities to make them sound more humanized, particularly on the ride at the intro and the snare :P

Also, the mixing is kinda muddy at the moment, the rhythm guitar sounds like noise over the lead guitar which sounds ok I guess, maybe to prominent... use EQ to try and fix it up.

also, the crash cymbals on the drums are too loud...

Other than that its ok at the moment I think, but you'd be better off getting critique from someone that does guitar stuff, like neko or fishy.

Ya know, its funny that no one has done this song yet. Or at least i haven't noticed it anywhere else yet. Probably cause its already a rockin' tune. Its one of my fav all time video game tracks. I play this song on guitar ALL THE TIME. I'm actually surprised i haven't actually done this remix myself either.

Anyways. Sometimes the drums do seem way to programmed and mechanical, but probably cause its a WIP. The leads, while they are out in front, are too out in front. I think messing around with the EQ should fix that. The rhythm guitars sound panned enough where they should be. It sounds like the compression isn't turned up high enough as well. I can hear a lot clicking when all the instruments jump in.

As for the guitar playing. The rhythm guitars don't sound too bad. They seem spot on and chugging right along with the rhythm. Although they do seem very muddy right now. Your probably using a tone very similar to mine cause i had problems with the EQ on my rhythm guitars with my last remix until i figured out how to clear them up. The leads sound good in the beginning, but sometimes sound too bland. Some delay and reverb, the usual, would help clean it up i suppose. I'm not really sure what's up with the part right at the end there. I think your going for the part around 4:00 so where the breakdown and solo jump in.

Its kinda hard to a rock remix of this cause its a rock mix in the first place, but keep it up the work and i'm anticipating the next update.

Obviously the last update was not large enough for you.

TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE THEN! http://www.tindeck.com/listen/uebh

The production as a whole has been completely overhauled, and I feel I've done a lot better. Also tons of drum fills and a better chorus. Still needs more Drum Fills, but I feel like I'm mostly done here. I've said that tons of times though and ended up with tons of problems in the end, so please, please give me some comments here.

Much appreciated :)

Alright, first of all, is that last orchestrated part written by you? If so, where did you get those samples/VSTs? Cause i gotta have them!

Anyways. The production does some much better and you hear everything, including that organ, much better now. The energy flows a lot better in this update. I do notice that you like to your lead playing from bands like Slayer, right? Its really good, and you can definitely hear the ability in there but i think its missing some of those nice epic note bends in certain parts from the original. Now, i'm only critiquing it so much cause i've been a fan of the series since i remember seeing Gran Turismo on my local blockbuster's shelf and decided to rent it. I've been a fan of the game, and obviously, the music.

After making my first post, i realized that i have a sort of half finished cover i started a while ago and just never finished it. All in all though, its sounding much better, and that orchestrated section at the end there is just epic.