*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Dancing Mad Orchestral Suite (Part 1)'

djpretzel

Email submission filename Dancing Mad Orchestral Suite mvmt 1.mp3 - djp

This will be my first submission to Overclocked. This is a symphony orchestration of the first section of Dancing Mad.

Not that I don't like organs, but I've always felt this piece would work especially well if arranged for full symphony orchestra. My first priority, though, was making an interesting arrangement that sounded good, no matter the orchestration, which accounts for the addition of an obviously synthesized patch. It was notated in Finale, actually, and transcribed from both the original midi version and some close listening to the "Black Mages" version. The patches were created and played through my Alesis QS8.1 synthesizer. The arrangement itself is quite true to it's original, which was my intent: to create an orchestration that simply augmented the original composition. There are a few obvious compositional additions though: For one thing, I lengthened the section right before the chorus (now sax and english

horn) come in, taking the second transposition and drawing it out to be the same length as the first. The second major addition is the "Elfman-esque" glockenspiel during the "choral section", which I think gives this section a very refreshing feel.

We'll see what's in store for this project, as I have a lot of other music composition projects going on (for college), I'm not in love with the 2nd section, although it does leave some room for some unique re-composition in spots.

BTW: I apologize for having to email this to you, but it seems that mp3.com is not letting me access my page at the moment.

Serious sound quality issues here. I think I prefer the SNES chip to some of these samples. Attacks are often too slow, and the whole piece suffers from poor EQ. The retriggering of the snare drum is painfully artificial. Many instruments are even hard to identify.

The arrangement is extremely simlar to the original, just with strings instead of organ. Much more needs to be put into original arrangement. As of now, it sounds like a low-quality MIDI-rip.

NO

-D

Some of the voice leading was changed, the instruments are different...and that's about it. I know that the arrangement was intentionally similar to the original, but we really discourage that sort of thing here- this comes off more as a orchestration rather than a "rearrangement" anyway.

Far too close to the original for me to pass.

NO

I really don't like your instruments. They don't work well for the genre you've chosen. They're quite electronic sounding, but you're not doing an electronica mix.

:?:

If you're going to use electronic sounds, at least make it interesting. Do some processing or something.

This arrangement is little different than the original. I agree with Dan; I'd rather listen to the original, as it's more dramatic, more exciting, and has better sounds. That's saying something, considering this is an SNES song.

And it just ends. -_-;

NO