*NO* Legend of Zelda 'DarkNess Multimix'

djpretzel

Alrighty, a mix of three popular Zelda themes plus a little improvisation. In there you have the main Zelda theme, originally from Zelda on the Nes, i believe, but then you also have Ocarina of Time's completely over-remixed but still amazingly beautiful Gerudo valley theme and the Song of Storms/Windmill Hut theme. For the reason it has more from OOT than it does Zelda 1, i guess you can list it under that game :)

This is my first real submission, though i have been remixing with fruityloops for quite some time, and i seem to have developed quite a unique style in that time. For this reason, i know there'll be people who wont like my music, but if they can get past the the initial impressions, i'm sure people will find a lot on offer under the surface of the mix. Or atleast that's what someone told me on the forums, heh.

Not really a whole lot to say. People on the boards said it made them happy to listen to it, i hope it's the same for the judges :)

~Hadyn

Okay. I love this style; it's very unique! I like your interpretation of the themes, particularly the Main Theme and the Windmill. I do, however, think this mix could use some work.

First; that pervasive drum loop that continues throughout the mix. It sounds very drumloopy. You mentioned you used FruityLoops. Drop that shiz in the slicer, yo'. Mess with it. Cut it up and rearrange it. PLEASE!

Another thing; it seems like a lot of your stuff is using the same phaser preset; mess with those settings too, and try to use different phaser settings. Those pads are not bad, but they seem to be shoved to the right. Trying bringing them closer to the center.

One thing that really bothers me about this mix is the Gerudo part. There's that tinny instrument on the left that plays the melody after a bit; I have an issue with the key its in. It sounds really off compared to your chords. Try to get those int the same key, please. It would make it sound so much better.

I like this piece, I really do. I also think you can do a lot more with it. I'm going to give this a NO, because of the issues I mentioned, but I'm also going to say that if my fellow judges also give this mix a NO, please take the suggestions in to consideration and resubmit. You have a cool sound; I'd like to see you on OCR.

I give you props for your ingenuity and having the balls to try something new. The synth programming and rhythms all suggest a lot of time was put into this. I agree with pretty much everything Darky said, so take his words to the head.

Overall, the mix sounds very messy. It seems like you're trying to do a lot too much at one time. While a musically dense mix is not something to avoid, unfortunately, many of the textures don't blend well, and sound awkward. There's quite a diversity to the synthetic timbres, but they don't really....agree with each other. And also, the same synths are used almost throughout the entirety of the piece, which tends to make it seems like it's dragging on.

The Gerudo section starts out grand enough, the squeaky synth at 2:10 works in the key, but all of it after that sounds like it got transposed off a step or two. Either modify the supporting harmonies to accept the melody, or modify the melody to fit the harmony.

I don't find the drumloop that offensive, as you do a lot of processing on it to keep it fresh. But a little more expansion on it's primary beat pattern would add mucho interest.

The portamento sliding on the main theme in the end sounds really....awkward. The sliding itself isn't a bad idea, just the degree at which it is sliding.

Overall, you've got some great rhythmic and ambient things happening here. Most of the chords and melodies are spot-on, but spotty arrangement and questionable instrumentation put this one just below the threshold for me.

Do keep at it, i'd like to hear a more polished version of this track.

NO

-D

Pretty creative stuff, but

those pads never really go away. They become very grating. Too much phasing :(

Simple drums never change save for the same old hat fills now and again.

The whole section from that.. valley or whatever song in the second half is on the wrong key. Though its not technically wrong, it sounds very very bad to me.

NO

Work on some more variation rather than constant pads and simple repeating progression.

Hey! The intro sounds a little like Knight Rider! Or as I like to call it, Mr. Feeney in a car.

Typically, I would be the first to decry, "More techno!? U fukking newb!" but the intricate details in this piece make it really, really shine. I'm actually quite impressed with alot of things going on here, and the techno genre only helps it stand out from the crowd, as most Zelda 'mixes tend to err on the side of orchestral.

I'm actually a little... perplexed I suppose is the word, that my fellow compatriots have voted no on this. It's your textbook diamond in da ruff.

YES

hmm...i like that dan used the word "dense." i think that is an accurate description of this song.

unfortunately the harmony here is really lacking. whole notes on a sweeping pad. this would be okay if it were brief, but way too much time is spent without any dynamics, simply repeating the weak pad.

the drums are quite annoying after a while,

there there is a painfully bad note at 2:20, another bad note in the bass at 4:15, and there is clipping throughout.

overall, this moves from may different melodies, but it never sounds different, and it never gets interesting.

EDIT: right, i'm supposed to vote, or sumcrud.

NO