OCR01148 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Turks in Pursuit'

djpretzel

This is kind of neat electronica thing I did a while ago. It gets kind of cheesy towards the end, but meh.

I hope you enjoy the buildup at 2:00 - I enjoyed working on that.

Here is the link:

Thanks again for considering my submission. Maybe we can have sex sometime.

P.S. This isn't a remix of the Turks' theme from FF7, as the name implies, but of "Underneath the Rotting Pizza". There's also a little bit of the FF7 battle theme near the end.

Those drums are so loopy. Nice effects on the drums. Like analoq said, triggering and filter automation is nice. It seems to me though, that the drumwork is the focus of this mix, with little arrangement on the source tune.

A melodic breakdown would have been nice; some more exploration and interpretation of the source tune could have made this mix really sweet. Work more on arrangement. ^_^

NO

Really cool drumbeats. Very cool ideas here. I'm likin this.

Yes, really like the percussion. Drumloops or not, they are automated like real percussion, not just drums over an original.

My one and only concern is the lo-fi sound quality of the whole thing.

I'm quite torn over this piece. Definate skill done here and no submission violations as far as I can tell.

Weak ending and needs to be louder. Thats all I can determine.

YES Great skills will not be denied by me.

We've got some awesome grooves happening here. I like to hear that other people appreciate the beauty of spy music ala Soma FM's "Secret Agent" station.

It's lo-fi, yes, and originally I was going to reject it on that point, but man, as I write this review, I can't stop myself from gyrating to this tune. I think the subtleties of the off beat, distorted hi-hat, and the grating, synthetic horns give this piece a lot more depth than it seems to have at first. I can really see this in a spy flick.

I don't mind the drum loop, it's switched up and filtered enough to keep it fresh. And not to mention the way-rad, uber-low bass keeping a droning pattern through the breakdowns, chord changes, etc.... it just gives it an ominous and intense feeling that I mad dig. I can imagine myself running from the turks to this music.

Let us remember that the original being modified here was at a point in the game which was coolly low-key, and I think too much melodic or harmonic reinterpretation would spoil that atmosphere. You don't fuck with Nobuo's atmospheres. You mix it up, Funk it up the yin-yang, and serve it on a tasty DJ Orange platter. Dig?

That being said, I think the main selling point for me on this track is the total attention to detail. The weird, bendy horns....the out of control, nicely done drum break....man...i'm quite impressed with a lot of what is going on here. Great work, man.

YES

If you don't get me, check out the Soma FM link, and listen to the Secret Agent station for at least 10 minutes. If you don't dig, you aren't fit to be a world class agent..

-D

You don't fuck with Nobuo's atmospheres.

Please. I'll fuck this Nobuo character with a stick! I'm RICK JAMES, BITCH.

But I digress--

--My man Danny is right on the money. This is fiercely groove-tastic. James Bond teams up with Sam Fisher teams up with Garrett (a la the Thief franchise) etc, etc, etc. Just very cool all around, except for that ending, which is alarmingly flaccid given the erectile might of the rest of the piece...

I'm also in love with the 1950's Rocket Revengers intro, complete with victrola grain. A man who keeps an eye on his intros is a man I'd like to have in the OCR library.

YES and a strong one, at that.

I tip my hat to you, sir

There was some discussion on this mix after the yes that required possible intervention. This bears a secondary cautionary look. I don't think this is really as good as djorange's recently posted mix. But on its own merits I have to agree with the Nos on this one.

The mix feels too fluid for me. It touches on some ideas then moves on to another idea far too quickly. I don't feel very situated as a listener when listening to this. My other complaints have been mentioned by the no votes.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

So random. I dunno. The drum work isn't entirely loop-based, though a good deal of it is. But as was said before, the filtering and chopping makes it less obvious, not to mention the music part of it, which hides most of the drum repetition, in my mind. It has enough of the source material and enough original work to warrant a YES in my book. Not to mention it's enjoyable to listen to. And the mastering on the drum work is miles above the zelda submission from the same artist. Sorry Binnie...

D