Final Fantasy VI Pathway To Hell

GSO

Hi, Wolfmizu!

I'm not sure, but it sounds to me as if your MP3 file did not write correctly. You may want to check it. Everything sounds unsynced; the sounds are dissonant, and are all at different tempos. And you only have one or two voices playing at any given time, which makes for a very poor arrangement. Try to expand the arrangement further!

Dissonant? Yeah, but the source is, as well. Only one or two voices playing at a time? Yeah, and that's a turn off, for me. The mix goes on too long in a single voice soundscape. Also, because of the very heavy reverb it's muddying the sound considerably.

The structure is a bit unorganized, and the source is scattered and repetitive. Be careful of the rhythms - when they're supposed to hold you end them early, which is disconcerting. It's not clicking for me...

Listen to some of the music on this site and notice how they generally have more than one instrument going at a time - it makes the music much more interesting, thus keeping the listener's attention better (also notice that music generally has different music playing simultaneously - that's important). Listen and learn, and try, try again - it's a difficult hobby, but with practice you can get the hang of it.

Quick listen cuz my wip run is technically over.

Some timing issues, the minimalist makes the rhythm hard to get a grip of. Piano+soundscaping is a cool idea, but you'll have to make both the piano and the soundscaping more interesting.

Your backing synth has a pretty annoying sound, and it tends to play the same as your lead. Replacing the sound and playing chords instead of in unison with the lead might make for a more interesting backing.

Gario already said what I usually say: listen. Listen, imagine, imitate, experiment, practice... they all help. Especially the listening, if you know how to listen in a way that you actually learn and not just enjoy.

Agree with my previous posters.

Too much hard panning of the instruments make the beginning of the mix unbalanced. The backing synth as was mentioned also annoys me a bit, I would try to cut down on the modulation that it has.

The sounds are a bit muddy too, and sound too "far up front". I'd cut down on the reverb and the volume. I'm not much of a production person, but it's possible that you compressed your mix too much to make the instruments loud.

The mix's integration of the two parts isn't strong at the moment - you start with one theme, and abruptly move into a new theme.

The Terra's theme section is much better than the beginning half. I think it's because the source theme is good and the instrument (piano) is a bit more interesting.

What I would consider for your next project is the following:

- In addition to melody, put in more harmony. Use chords, or counterpoint and add some "fullness" to the sounds.

- Also try adding some bass as well.

- Listen to other people's music that you like and see if you can hear what they do with their songs. What instruments do they use? How do they play them? See if you can incorporate that into your own music.

Good luck, it takes a lot of practice. Keep at it.

Something you should do is find some similar music by other ppl, and compare them. Figure out the details of the sound, like frequency balance, length of the sounds, how many sounds tehre are at any one time, and how they're arranged (both sonically and musically).

Practicing to work with rhythms is something else you could benefit from. I think you've got three different tempos simultaneously during the Terra theme in this version. That makes for a rhythmic mess. You also manage to start a melody off the beat, which doesn't really work as either the melody or the beat will sound off-rhythm.

Can't say it appeals to me, but you're learning and that's great. Listen to music, and count (in your head or aloud) the beat, pretend-drumming, humming/singing a melody on top, whatever. If you don't learn to make the rhythms of different instruments go together, your music is gonna sound messy any time you've got more than one melody/rhythm playing.

Analyze what you listen to. You'll learn faster that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my (hopefully) Final try remix of FF VI's opening, Omen. any kind of feedback would be lovely ^0^

105-v1-catherinethegreat21-Pathway_To_Hell.jpg

The intro is monotonous... the instrument and three notes over and over and over again is nerve wracking as well. It's great that you want a long intro; that''s fine. Just don't make it repetitive and seem like you could cut 2 minutes out of the song and not really lose anything important.

The best way to think about this:

Would you play this song over and over? I'm pretty sure that you would get sick of it listening to that intro do the same thing, with almost no variation.

And when that big drum comes in, it got no matching rhythm whatsoever to the melody. And it also feels like it's doing the same thing over and over again for 1-2 minutes straight.

I love when that snare roll comes in with the main melody. But that marimba/whatever in the background is off rhythm, and then the main melody

goes off rhythm too.

Rhythm, man, that's a big problem in this mix.

None of your instruments are fitting together.

It sound like you just wrote random notes down for the intro and then had some sort of melody... and then you just thought of some drumbeat and slapped it on there... All of your parts sound slapped together, in terms of rhythm.

I...can't really tell what you're doing in the intro.

Okay, after a minute I sort of get where you're going, it just sounds like someone who doesn't really know what they're doing has been hitting a lot of semi-random sustained notes for a minute.

And it keeps going. I would say there are missed notes, but it sounds like you hit bad notes intentional.

I agree with Neblix...rhythm is missing here. You sustain every note and its brother at bad pitches in the first half of the song, then when you hit a recognizable melody begging for a sustain at the end of the measure, you drop it.

I'd say cut out the first 2 and a half minutes, which sound like experimentation with a new keyboard, and go straight with the snare, or at least an abbreviated intro. If you could layer in a strings synth in the background it would do a lot to fill the soundscape. Right now it's a xylophone sample tapping a few notes, a snare (which is probably the theme you should go with for the remix: a military march built on Terra's Theme), and the lead, which isn't sounding all that hot.

If you INSIST on keeping the intro, play with it until it SOUNDS good, and I'd really recommend some form of bass popping in and out for diversity. Even when you think you finally get it sounding 'good', it probably won't stand on its own enough to fill two minutes. Sounding good isn't enough, it has to be interesting, and the intro doesn't sound like it'd ever be interesting short of massive aural surgery.

I'd say ditch everything except for the snare pattern and the sequencing for the lead melody. Work with those bare bones and re-develop the theme of the mix. Add layers, because if you only have one woodwind going at a time it would have to sound way better than the samples you're using. Don't make it crazy with like 20 things at once, but using only 3 instruments at once exposes both shaky arranging and mediocre samples.

Here is my (hopefully) Final try remix of FF VI's opening, Omen. any kind of feedback would be lovely ^0^

105-v1-catherinethegreat21-Pathway_To_Hell.jpg

(this is FF VI's Opening Omen)I know this doesn't sound even close to finished yet, but I'm out of ideas. anybody who has suggestions on how to make this more complete is welcome to comment ^0^ thanks

109-v1-catherinethegreat21-Pathway_to_HellWIP.jpg

Rhythm, rhythm, rhythm!

It's still not clear. What program are you using?

You need to know when measures start and stop, because I can't even tell. Your program should have lines indicting where a measure starts and stops, and I don't think you're paying much attention to them.

In this version, I can only see four patterns.

The first pattern over and over, it ends.

Then the second pattern over and over, it ends.

Then the third pattern over and over, it ends.

Then the fourth pattern over and over, it ends.

Develop a lot of patterns, fit them together (RHYTHMICALLY) and create an ARRANGEMENT, not random stuff.

Please don't take this harshly but I think you need to learn some music theory. Try talking to some of the higher ups here, or find some essays composers write about how to create rhythmically sound music.

who are some of the higher ups on this site(besides djpretzel)? in your opinion, who would be good to talk to? do you have any good recommendations on some music theory essays? 'cause I really wanna learn to do this but I don't know where to go for help.

In terms of learning music theory, your best bet is not online. It takes a lot of time and effort; try looking for local teachers, or perhaps some community college courses. Or, if you're still in high-school, see what basic music courses they offer. There's really no quick way to learn. Just like anything else in life, you have to work hard to get anywhere!

neblix is right, you're still having rhythm problems. Learning theory might sound difficult, but a lot of it is really just common sense applied to music. Not hard once you get the basics down.

You can't get a remix posted nowadays without knowing how to make music, whether you know formal theory or just know what works and what doesn't. Just about anyone with a posted remix would be a "higher up", there's no need to turn to the big names with stuff like this when a lot of the unposted mixers can help. Some of them (like Gario) know way too much. ;) If you use aim, add me, and when you have a question, just ask. If I'm there (and awake), I'll help you out. :D

Have you seen how the source looks like in your program? Get a midi of it from vgmusic and open it in Acid or whatever you use, see how it looks. Importing source midis isn't gonna get you on ocr, but they're often good learning resources and good practice.

If you're old enough, plunk down $100 on a beginner's guitar or keyboard (if you don't already have one) and find an appropriate tutor (Local colleges or craiglist should point the right direction). If you're too young, get your parents to get you one if you really have a strong interest in music.

The reason being is that while you CAN learn things online, it is (as Rozovian said) really difficult. You can't just wiki up music theory and expect to be able to suddenly write coherent music. You'll get an understanding of some things, but music is a matter of practice and self-initiative.

Another cheap tool I might recommend for learning sequencing and how to 'create' samples would be Korg DS-10 if you have a Nintendo DS. It's about $25-$35 and it simulates a synthesizer pretty well. There are definitely limits to it and sequencing an actual multi-synth song is laborious at best, but in terms of quickly seeing how to fit notes into a tempo it's very nice. The best part really is creating your own samples, which is a fascinating study in music theory in and of itself (did you know that since sound travels via sine waves you can effectively create ANY sound given precise enough control over the wave? Amplitude and frequency are the foundations of sound, and in the sample creator you can modify these are many other settings in real-time to witness sound in its most primal form). For $30 you can do a lot worse than a synth-creator on the go.

You could ask me basically anything on the subject of music theory and I'll have a decent answer - just PM me with a question and I can help (just make sure it's a specific question).

Rhythm... let's look at the music real quick and see exactly what the problem is. Timing is off - the way to hear that problem is to listen to a metronome (most sequencers and DAWs have a metronome built into them) and listen to how the clicks line up with the music. If they line up perfectly then the timing is fine, and if the notes that don't line up divide the clicks in half, quarters, eighths, etc. then they're good, as well. If the notes are not lining up with the metronome and they do not divide it exactly as stated above then they're off time.

It sounds like there's some intentional tempo changes in there - take them out and work with a single tempo. Believe me, they're difficult to get the hang of, and if you're having trouble with the basic timing then the tempo changing will kill the music entirely.

I have a question - do you know how to quantize your rhythms (meaning the computer will automatically line up the music to the normal beats of the music)? If you don't quantized your music the timing will sound off 99% if the time in a sequencer (like it does here). I suspect you're not quantizing the rhythms. If you don't know how to check tell us what your DAW is and perhaps one of us will know :).