Red Faction: Guerrilla

Garian

sup guys, bought the game through steam shortly after it was available for prepurchase, and i was wondering if anyone else picked up the game for the PC. I wouldn't mind getting some multiplayer games in some time, but i don't feel too comfortable pubbing. Although it's available on steam, it actually uses the games for windows live for DRM and matchmaking.

Some of the reviews have said that the PC port is even better than the initial console launch, Reactor Zero have done a GREAT job and surpassed my expectations by far (considering how abysmal the port of Saints Row 2 was in comparison, but IIRC that was ported by a different company). They even added in some new graphical effects (sunlight shafts and i think some sort of dynamic shadowing) and apparently the game supports ridiculous screen resolutions. Of course, i've got a lower-mid range rig so I get some slowdown in the thick of destruction at moderate settings, but generally the game performs well. Also, there is already a modding community assembling and although Volition won't release any tools or support modding, it at least gives a nod to the community by allowing them to use the RF website forums to assemble, so hopefully there will be some cool fan content in the future. My only hope for the game is supporting the PC version with DLC (either PC exclusive or ports of anything they make for the consoles-- the first two DLC packs were included for free and there are a couple of pc exclusive mp maps iirc).

also the soundtrack is available on the itunes (i THINK) and amazon mp3 stores. i'm holding off with hopes that there will be an actual CD release, but if not i'll probably pick up the digital download to support virt's career. the music is really good, although it is very easy to ignore the music when the action is really intense. But when it sneaks up on you, it's like BAM!

totally sucks that geomod 2 doesn't support destroying terrain, but i feel that restricting destruction to buildings only helped to keep the focus on combat and guerrilla strategy. if you could just tunnel underneath a high priority target and destroy the ground underneath the foundations you'd still destroy the buildings, but it wouldn't necessarily be in line with the original design specs... although it WOULD be nice to reshape some of those mountains, particularly when the EDF has a convoy running inside a canyon :V

there is a LOT of physics going on, so there is definite slowdown when destroying buildings, and i noticed a little in the Oasis sector where there is a lot of foliage on the ground, but i'm also using middle-range settings (1024x768, shadows/shafts off, medium models and textures). i've heard that on most up-to-date rigs there is little or no slowdown whatsoever though so you can keep that in mind too. Of course, the game WAS designed for console.

PS don't think of this as a pc only topic :V

PPS Gollgagh i'm not certain but he may be referring to the steam special with prepurchasing RFG coming with RF1 and 2 for free? Oddly enough both RF and RF2 pages still have the message but the RFG page doesn't :V