Sega Genesis Newb Needs Help!

Sir_Snooze

Oh, the 32X just sits there. Occasionally I bring it out to play Doom. When I got the 32X, someone stuffed 3 games in the box with it.

I picked up my N64 from some rich family whose son went to college. $25 for the consoles, 2 controllers and 5 games in the boxes.

Oh, Doom. Great game - is the 32X version the one with the really bad versions of the Doom music (which is awesome, by the way)?

Solid on the N64! I got one for Christmas as a tyke, and she still works wonderously. And I'm glad for that, too.

I've never played on a 32X, but what I've seen of it is weird. Metal hooks to latch into your Genesis? I'm not putting that in there, not even to play Afterburner or Knuckles Chaotix. I also thought there were like 40 games for the thing. Of course, you could also get the Sega CD...eww...

Speaking of the 32x, that's probably the only Genesis console I wouldn't get. Well, that and the Master System. Everything else at least had its place. Sega CD had the Lunar games, Genesis had a shitload of awesome, Saturn had Nights and Panzer Dragoon, and Dreamcast also had a shitload of awesome.

But 32x? Nope. 'cept maybe Virtua Fighter.

I've never played on a 32X, but what I've seen of it is weird. Metal hooks to latch into your Genesis? I'm not putting that in there, not even to play Afterburner or Knuckles Chaotix. I also thought there were like 40 games for the thing. Of course, you could also get the Sega CD...eww...

There are no hooks for the 32X. The two metal plates are there to hold the Genesis flaps open, and not let them snag on anything when you remove the 32X. They also line up with the metal squares on the 32X. What they do beyond holding open the cart port is up in the air. Either way, those metal plate don't dig into anything on or in the Genesis. They're only attached to the flaps.

And the Sega CD was a fine little system. It just got drowned in FMV shovelware and cart ports that added little above CD music. However, there are games that were good. Such as...

AH-3 Thunderstrike (Flying)

Android Assault (Shmup)

Annet Futatabi (Action) *

Battlecorps (Action)

Dark Wizard (Turn-Based Strategy)

Dungeon Explorer II (Action)

Earnest Evans (Action) *

Earthworm Jim: Special Edition (Action Platformer)

Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side (Fighting)

Final Fight CD (Beat'em Up)

Flink (Action Platformer/Puzzle)

Lords of Thunder (Shmup)

Lunar: The Silver Star (RPG)

Lunar: Eternal Blue (RPG)

Popful Mail (Action RPG)

Robo Aleste (Shmup)

Shining Force CD (Turn-Based Strategy RPG)

Sonic CD (Platformer)

Soul Star (3D Action/Shmup)

Stellar Fire (Solely for the soundtrack) (3D Action)

The Terminator (Action)

Vay (RPG)

I ain't gonna lie, good luck finding an Atari 2600 that works, the miniaturized system has all kinds of problems, my recommendation, look for either an original Atari, or an Atari 7800 Master System, the 7800 plays all of the old games and also has some of the bigger titles released just before the NES came out.

I have a working 2600, but the damn UHF/VHF adapter burned out...

You could always do what I do and play your 2600 games on the Colecovision, a much superior system.

I was lucky enough to find a Colecovision recently, with the Atari 2600 expansion module, and lots of games. Plus it was only a little over $20 for the whole thing. Also it works.

brb playing superior version of Mr. Do.

There are no hooks for the 32X. The two metal plates are there to hold the Genesis flaps open, and not let them snag on anything when you remove the 32X. They also line up with the metal squares on the 32X. What they do beyond holding open the cart port is up in the air. Either way, those metal plate don't dig into anything on or in the Genesis. They're only attached to the flaps.

Oh - mea culpa. I thought it like dug into the underside of the thing. Still, it didn't last long, and it was a bad idea with the Saturn so close behind its heels. FMV set us back years...what a failure. I tried an emulated copy of Night Trap and I thought it was just dumb.

Streets of Rage I emu'd and loved.

Oh - mea culpa. I thought it like dug into the underside of the thing. Still, it didn't last long, and it was a bad idea with the Saturn so close behind its heels. FMV set us back years...what a failure. I tried an emulated copy of Night Trap and I thought it was just dumb.

Nope. No digging. They just hold open the cartridge port flaps, and they won't scratch up your Genesis or anything. I've had my 32X for years, and it hasn't left a single mark on my old model 1 Genesis... and I've hooked up and unhooked that 32X a lot.

You might be thinking of the Sega CD plates that attach to the bottom of the Genesis. You put a metal plate under there, and it attaches with a screw, and a few tabs that slide into place (it's an RF shield... which now that I think about it, might be what those metal tabs are for the 32X). But even that won't do any damage really unless you handle the plate clumsily.

And yeah, putting out the 32X was a rather poor move on Sega's part. But the little mushroom system did get some fun games during its brief lifespan, so it wasn't a total loss... especially if you picked it up for $30 new (with Doom) when stores were trying to get rid of them.