OCR01913 - Final Fantasy VII "The Omen of Jenova"

djpretzel

• 8 months later...

Ah, good ol JENOVA. Justin kicks into this one full force with very little intro, which I actually really enjoyed! As this is one source tune that I'm fairly familiar with, the opening section is very similar to the original, but hell if I mind. I really like it. This is something you'd hear from the Black Mages live at one of their concerts. It almost goes without saying at this point that the performance of the guitar is near flawless. I love the brief moments of orchestral percussion in there. I always have ear gasms when I hear orch in with metal. This is how Metallica would do FF7. The strings in the middle breakdown were a bit thin and could have been layered on top of one another to make them a little bigger. The idea was great, but the implementation just felt thin and a little out of place with the samples that were used. Being an orch guy, I'm pickier than most, and I have no problem admitting that :). However, those VERY minor gripes aside, Justin has really come a long way in the 1-2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

When this started up, I was like "Oh here we go. Jenova done in metal. Already not the most inpsired of choices." But it actually really surprised me in what it brings to the table. In a lot of ways, this goes against the grain of my expectations and totally blasts the cliched rock/metal style implementation.

I really love the support of orchestral and electronic in with the main backbone of metal. It adds a lot, and makes it stand out among a growing crowd of mixes with only heavy guitar. Obviously, the arrangement reflects the strengths of the guitar work, and yet the exemplary support from the minor details and variation in sound are what make this mix.

Final Fantasy 7 is a game soundtrack that doesn't respond too well to overexposure, so I was surprised and more than delighted to hear the infused energy in this one. A really stellar heavy guitar showpiece with a fantastic arrangement to boot.

• 1 year later...

I love it when metal can be used to enhance a track rather than just come out all frantic and reckless, and this is a great example. Nekofrog just comes out guns blazing with this ReMix and to hear some orch driving force behind it was sweet. Second half went a hair longer than I expected, but I'm not really complaining cause it was still great.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01913 - Final Fantasy VII "The Omen of Jenova"