Custom music boxes

Geoffrey Taucer

Would anybody happen to know where I can get a music box custom built with a tune of my choosing?

I've been looking for somewhere to get a music box built that would play ashokan farewell (it would be awesome if they'd let me create my own arrangement), but I haven't been able to find any.

Does such a place exist?

Honestly, I think you'll have a difficult time finding a commercial service which readily does this, especially if you want a traditional music box (with all the classic mechanical workings, like not a computerized faux music box or something)

Though you may want to look more at custom instrument makers or craftsmen... I would have said clockwork makers, but it seems those are rare too in modern times (ones that actually make clockwork, and not just craft wooden cabinets)

Most custom built things nowdays use manufactured parts, so it would be very hard to get a one-off music box that plays a custom tune I'd think. Also you might need to be prepared to spend some real cash....

Edit: I partly take that back.

You can have boxes done and get the movements, its the cylinder you'd need.

But here: http://www.deanorgans.co.uk/musical_movements.htm

So if you could find somebody who has the right cylinder or can arrange one for you, you'd be set.

I've also been interested in this for quite some time -- if anyone finds anyone that does custom cylinders, please let us know. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for someone to take some sheet music I've arranged and make an appropriate cylinder for a music box.

Ditto.

Another option: a high-quality do-it-yourself kit. Does such a thing exist?

Ditto.

Another option: a high-quality do-it-yourself kit. Does such a thing exist?

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to have something like that...

The problem with music boxes in the traditional sense is the tines, cylinder, and the rotation speed. Tines have to be tuned by making them the appropriate thickness or shaving them down, and the cylinder needs to have the pins or 'bumps' on it, not sure what they are called in technical jargon.

But if there could be tunable tines and like maybe a copper sheet where you make indentations on the reverse with a tool and then wrap it around the cylinder, you could make your own arrangement....