*NO* Tux Racer 'Annoyingly Happy'

djpretzel

Tux Racer - the official 'Annoyingly Happy' mix of Hadyn Lander's creation (a wacky song deserves a wacky name) - OC Remix - Hadyn Lander

Though you're probably better off with the tagged version, so if all that doesn't work, just let me know and i'll see if i can mail it to you.

So i was walking along through ocr's little slice of cyberspace one day when i came to the shocking realisation that, apart from Shael's groin-related music (and that space-harrier rap one i saw on the WIP boards ages back), there really weren't many (good) "fun" mixes on the site.

Alright, so realisticly this little mix of mine isn't really anything comparible to that stuff - however, it still fits in a genre that my friends describe as "annoyingly Happy", and ocr could do with a little more of that ;)

So i took an 8-second looped song from a freeware game by the name of Tux Racer, sped up the tempo a little, completely improvised everything other than the weird piano/harp style lead, sampled from some really random sources, and mixed it all together into a three-minute fest of random upbeat... randomness, just for your enjoyment.

Yeah yeah, i'm sure the judges will find it just a little sub-par and it probably wont get that far just because of it's name, but hey, it's worth a shot. On the WIP boards, it seemed that people either loved it or hated it (like a lot of my work), so yeah, i'm expecting some varied opinions. Just as a note, i'm fairly sure i no longer have the original flp file for this one (due to viruses and formatting and whatnot), so unfortunately i most likely wont be able to go back and work on it again if it doesn't make submission. Regardless, if you're going to vote no, detailed feedback is still great due to the fact it will still help me with future mixes :)

Cheers guys, i hope you like it!

~Hadyn

hahaha. This is pretty fun. HAHAHA

HA HA HA

HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA etc

anyway. Its fun because of the multitude of drumloops and sound effects. Very creative way to make a song out of an 8 second riff.

This is a tough decision. I'm on the side of NO due to the excess reliance on sfx/loops

Could have been much better. Go for your own drums next time.

I liked it but NO

Not bad, but not great either.

Drums, like Prot said, are loopy. Also, there are a few portions where the drums have an annoying phaser preset on them. Be more subtle with your phasing and flange effects. I had a similar issue with your Gerudo Valley remix.

This also basically switches back and forth between two drum loops. Samples are pretty average; sfx seem kinda gratuitous.

NO

one, two, three, hit it!

turn it up!

nice inclusion of overused vocal hits, takes me back to 1995 when i would load those same exact vox into scream tracker 3 and play them on the keyboard to amuse myself. and while the remixer in question seemed to be amusing himself with this, i'm not convinced it works as a whole. it seems half-noobish and half-cool. i like the chaoticness of the drums and sfx, but the melodic components are really weak.

no

I agree with the other judges. This is very fun. I do like the phased drums. This needs more instrumentation, attention to production and less reliance on loop drums and fx. Melody is a bit weak and dull. Try focusing on making a better lead, better instrument change ups and better instrumental combinations. Try doubling or trippling instruments to combine for stronger leads.

There's really nothing wrong with the mix. It just comes off as inexperienced and standard. This needs more creative planning and execution to make the mix stand out. Not a bad mix for what it is, but it needs much more. Keep at it.

NO