OCR02009 - *YES* Uru 'Thanks for Dinner'

Palpable

Contact Information

- Your ReMixer name

Tansunn

- Your email address

tansunn@gmail.com

- Your website

( http://robocoon.net/tansunn but it's not active yet )

- Your userid on our forums

Submission Information

- Name of game(s) arranged

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

- Name of individual song(s) arranged

Badlands

- Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Composer: Tim Larkin

System: PC

- Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

(Pulled straight from the game itself.)

- Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

The inspiration for this mix comes from PAX when I got to hang out with some of the OCRemix crew. After the OCRemix panel, I tagged along and we eventually ended up going for dinner at Gameworks. DJ Pretzel was kind enough to pay for it, and I wanted to pay him back by making a new remix for the site.

I already had it set in my mind that I wanted to cover a game that wasn't already on the site, and since I had recently gotten back into the Myst series, I thought that would be a good place to start. Since there were already entries that covered 4 of the 5 main-series games, and Riven is more ambiance than music, I went for the spinoff series, Uru.

As I was listening through the game's music, I kept finding myself drawn to the Badlands themes from the desert Age, Minkata. It has a nice, slow, driving beat and it's not quite as ambient as some of the other tracks. The game actually uses three different tracks and I wanted to incorporate different parts from each. In addition to the main melody, I wanted to incorporate the cellos from the quieter middle section, and from there I just kept building until we got what we have now.

Sequencing and effects were done in FLStudio 9, synths were Sytrus, Morphine, Zebra 2, and 3xOsc, sample sets are QLSO Gold, Stormdrum, and Ecstatic Grooves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mink Badlands Cave Music, Mink Badlands Middle, Mink Badlands Reprise

Tansunn's (LousySpy) mixes were a little before my time, but you gotta love when classic remixers get pulled back into the fold. It was great meeting up with him at PAX.

Great approach to these songs, and this is IMO masterful in the way it weaves the hooks of the originals into one totally cohesive song. The vibe is more mysterious and synthy than the originals, and I love the way it unfolds. It would have been cool to tweak the lead when it gets repeated in the second half so that it doesn't sound so copy/paste, but I wasn't too bothered.

Sometimes the lead got in the way of the background writing, but I thought the levels were mostly where they needed to be and the production was good. Overall, really diggin' this, definitely worth more than a meal at Gameworks.

YES

This mix has a really great atmosphere. I love that pulsing beat and the bassline. A lot of the background writing is really subtle, which is nice because there's a good balance between all the different elements.

I like how you carried over the overall mood of the source without making the whole thing sound like a sound upgrade/adaptation. The development of this piece with the rising and falling tension is great.

I like it!

YES

Arrangement works for me, I like how things were cohesively combined to make it sound like a natural single song. It's cool how it flows from the different sources, and it had a great feel throughout while still working as individual sections.The ending could have been slightly stronger, but it's clear that some care was put into the last part.

Production was clean and deep, and my synth bias very appreciative of your lead sound choice. No real issues here.

Overall, I dig. :-)

yes

Interesting story behind the title, haha.

Definitely digging the atmosphere here as well. Seems like a nice adaptation from a more organic vibe to an electronic one. It's not quite groundbreaking, but it's definitely good music to chill to. I caught myself bobbing my head slightly (djp-ing, as it were) at least a couple times while listening to this. This track makes a great backing track or focal track, which is kind of a unique quality in and of itself, I'd say.

Let's throw this up on the front page and enjoy it, folks.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The opening synth sounded generic and buried, but then a new lead took over at :52. Nice drum sounds added in at 1:33. Gotta agree with the others who said the various background elements had a lot of ear candy. Sometimes it got downplayed by the lead, but was still OK-sounding with the mixing.

2:58's section was a retread of :52 only with some added strings that basically blended into the background, followed by a brief key change 3:38, then deconstruction from 3:58 until the end. The backing beatwork was OK, but definitely plodded on cruise control after a while. Some changeups/evolution there would have really freshened this up.

I liked the overall interpretation and changes of the mood compared to the original, so I've got no hate on this mix. But I thought the beatwork being so repetitive with relatively limited dynamic contrast from the other elements was a negative. The main source tune "Bandlands: Cave Music" did that too, but the dynamics were much more pronounced than they were here, IMO, which was the key difference. I don't mind subtle dynamics, but thought they weren't quite pulled off well here and this ended up sounding too static. If this had more effective dynamic contrast, I'd totally be down.

NO (borderline)

That said, the rest of the panel is feeling it, and there's a lot of good things going on with it, so congrats on a solid return, and I hope we hear more from you! I remember having to tell you on Twitter that you should consider submitting again to see where your skills were at, so I'm glad the PAX get-together finally pushed you into going for it!