FF7 - I Guess This's Goodbye, Midgar

Chris Hammond

ooh, this is good. i love how the piano is so soft in the background. the only things i would change is to make it a little bit longer and to put just a bit more substance in at the end. it didn't feel as though it really had an end

It's a little bit too soft.

If you are going for a concerto piano effect, it sounds a little too much like a default midi keyboard sample. It also sounds a bit muffled.

The arrangement is very nice. I am enjoying the nuances.

I think you should elongate the part at 1:30. It FINALLY picks up the pace, but then dies off too fast. The next part should come later I think (the high notes all tinkly)... Explore the part at 1:30 and go with it. You THEN climax nicely at about 2:00, but I think it's just too premature.

Good luck, I enjoyed this.

Hosting was a bit iffy, took a while before I could download the song.

I liked it though, it is a bit on the repetitive side but it has potential. You need to make it louder, I had to put my speakers way up to even hear it.

1:30 was a nice break but it ended to quickly, you should try and add to it.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Too quiet

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Too short

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Really not a whole lot going on here, as even for a piano remix it's pretty minimalistic. Not very many chances or departures are taken here, as it seems like the majority of the remix is spent repeating the signature melody, with the only positive change coming in at about 1:30 or so.

Production-wise, it's a bit on the quiet side, and since it's a piano track, the sound of it obviously doesn't change very much -- not always a bad thing, but when a track is this conservative in its interpretation it usually is.

As for length, stick a few more original ideas into it and that would solve that issue.

Other than those things, not bad.

• 1 month later...

I like this interpretation. It sounds very fragile, very open. Some points:

+ Solo piano works.

+ Playing with the tempo works as well. The atmosphere of the track is beautiful.

+ I like the length (read on)

- Although I love the softness of the track, it's a tad too soft.

- As mentioned before, the track never really picks up the pace. It starts to do so (at 1m33s and at 2m00s) but those two combined last for 30 seconds. Way too short. In my opinion, if you build the expectation of a more defined part, you have to go with it. Otherwise you make a promise to your listeners you do not keep.

- So, I said I like the length but I just said I think you should continue with the parts where the tempo picks up. So I guess what I would like to say is: do not add anything new to the track, just expand on the parts where the track starts to feel more defined

I think this is a great start. If you expand on the parts I mentioned, I think your track will measure about three minutes... That should definitely do.