Super Mario 64 Dire Dire Docks/Jolly Roger Bay Remix

TGH

Hey.

My second post in like 5 minutes, lol.

This is another one of the four remixes I made with a trial version of Mixcraft, and as is the case with all the others, I cannot edit this because my trial version has run out.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/204419066/6a9c8a1a/Dire_Dire_Docks_Remix.html

Thanks!

-TGH

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the feedback! :D

Super_Sonic_Maniac, I actually had that in mind, lol. . . I pretty much put the maximum amount of reverb and delay on the guitars as possible without it noticably mushing in with other parts of the song. When I tried it with more, the chords kinda got mixed together and didn't sound as good.

I did, however, experiment with the delay on the vibes during the orchestral part and onwards, and I added a lot more delay on those (and actually, the vibes start right where you said, at 1:36) so I can definitely see where you're coming from. Thank you :)

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Really digging this, with only a few niggling issues. I feel like the song is being held back tremendously by the fake acoustic guitar. If you have access to a real acoustic guitar, I would highly suggest recording with it. If you don't, find someone who does, and ask them to do it.

Drums are pretty low-key, as they should be for a piece like this, so my only issue with them is the fact that the snare sounds pretty "contained". A bit too much air -- it almost sounds like a clap is mixed in with it somehow.

Orchestral strings are just fine, don't mess with them. I'd just change how everything fades into them near the end. I'm not feeling the placement of the vibes; I think they could work, but as they are currently implemented I'm not a big fan.

The synth arpeggios at 3:55 are fine in theory, but it kind of takes away from the mellowness of the entire atmosphere. I recognize a need for changing it up, and I like the idea of them, but they still feel too high-energy for the rest of the song.

Either way, good work.