2 sm64 mixes

Evahn

Koopa's Theme: Definitely Koopa

Dire, Dire Docks: Thoughts While Drowning

Kakariko Village: Kakariko (no title yet)

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?a=evahn

KOOPA V. 2

img.php?fid=671

KOOPA FINAL

img.php?fid=678

sources:

Koopa -

Dire -

Kakariko - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFhCZL6qp4

I haven't been on here in a long time ...

I don't really intend on submitting these. I don't think there's a whole lot of re-arrangement going on.

Both are from two separate concept albums I've been working on. Both albums include only originals, except for these covers. I thought they sounded pretty good so I figured I'd put 'em up here to see what other people thought.

Well, I did submit Def Koopa, about a year ago. That version sucked. No wonder it got NO'd. I don't know what I was thinking.

Someone (I think Liontamer) mentioned the lame drum loop on that old version of Def Koopa. The first thing I did after that was record live drums. Recorded the drums in a small theater, using four room mics for lots of natural reverb. I had the drummer from my old band come track the drums. I used the second take, which was only the second time he'd heard the song. I'd say he did pretty well.

My friend's little brother played my cheap keyboard for Dire Docks. I added some slide guitar and watery vocals in three or four part harmonies.

Both cut in and out, because on the albums, they flow from the previous track and into the next. Except Dire Docks doesn't cut out, because it's the last track on that CD.

So uh ... anybody care to listen?

EDIT:

Decided that, while I'm at it, I might as well put up everything I have. So I added an acoustic Kakariko cover too. it's got banjo and harmonica, and when I get around to recording it, it will also have ocarina.

haha obviously I'm a big fan of the Koji

Ok I'll try to help you...

Definitely Koopa: bass sounds too loud. And I don't really like how the guitar sounds...

Thoughts While Drowning: Even if I prefer the rock style arrangements, I think that this is better than the other. Anyway it sounds a little repetetive maybe...

I'm not an expert so I don't know if it could be helpful or not...

I'm not an expert either, but I think I can help some.

Definitely Koopa: The most egregious problem with this track is the lead instrument. It sounds bad. :-? The drums themselves sound good, but I'm not a fan of what the drums are doing. Toooo much cymbals, especially if the drums are going to be so prominent in the track. They're also too straightforward-- one clash per quarter note. It doesn't do anything to set a mood or help the track. The best part of the song is the bridge around 1:30, and that's the only place without the constant cymbals. For the constant cymbals to work, more needs to be going on with the other instruments. Generally, the song has very little "depth". It's too straightforward and has too few surprises-- except for the bridge, which I like a lot.

Thoughts While Drowning: I like this one a lot more than Definitely Koopa. It's calming and has a lot of good ambiance. The only real issue is that it's very similar to the source material. It sounds almost exactly the same. The slides you added are great, but I feel you should try to bring some more new things to the arrangement. I hesitate to say that, though, because I think the track is really good as is and I wouldn't want it to become too convoluted. What I would try to do is lengthen what you have, adding some harmony tracks as you go along, building tension. Then, for the last measure or two, cut out all the new stuff and just coast to the end. Of course, that's just my opinion on what should happen here. You could easily have better ideas. I just think it needs to do something more to distance it from the source a bit more.

Kakariko Village: I... REALLY REALLY like this. :grin: It has a great acoustic atmosphere and it's very calming. The banjo and harmonica sound great. I even like the occasional mistakes. If you do add an ocarina, I would suggest only using it occasionally for emphasis because I think the banjo and harmonica really work perfectly on their own.

I hope this helped and nothing came across too harshly. This is all just my opinion and I don't mean to imply I'm better at this than anybody else because, again, I'm no expert.

thanks guys. a lot! I needed some criticism, because it's hard for me to criticize myself on something I've been working on for so long!

Definitely Koopa has been the hardest track to mix on that album. You both are right about the sounds of the instruments; I recorded and programmed almost all the instruments (besides the drums) more than a year ago, on old equipment and with bad techniques. Your comments are the motivation I needed to re-record those guitars (especially that shitty solo ... ugh) and find a better instrument for the synth leads. The drums have been really hard to mix, but I'll have to play with the EQs on the reverb so the cymbals are less abrasive.

I'm not sure what to do about Thoughts While Drowning. It definitely does need something more. I thought about lengthening it, but I intended for it to be a short track to end the album. The track it follows is about 8 minutes long, and is about a man that decides to commit suicide by jumping from a boat during a storm. The Dire Docks cover is supposed to be a short, random thought of peace he has as he sinks into the depths. It does need something else though ...

I'm glad you liked Kakariko, Invader Quirk. Before, I wasn't too sure about it myself. And don't worry, the ocarina would only be during that chorus part. If you listen to the source off Ocarina of Time, I'm trying to duplicate all the instruments live, with the additional banjo, so there wouldn't be too much ocarina, it'd just add to the chorus. I might add some village or farm ambient sounds too, but only if I can find some good ones and they aren't distracting.

Thanks again guys. I think I know what to fix now, 'specially on Koopa. I might post updates. Later.

I got an update sooner than I thought I would. I had a random idea, decided to change the section with the guitar solo ... but I don't want to give away the surprise!

img.php?fid=671

messed with the melody leads too, still pretty lame, I'll change that later. just listen to the solo part. the whole thing still needs some mix and master work.

I'm hoping to have the CD done by the end of this weekend, and this is pretty much the only track holding me up. one step closer, though ...

These are way better than the pieces of crap I've tried to submit in the past.

Definitely Koopa:Invader_Quirk said this before, but the guitar needs a bit of fixing. It sounds somewhat...what's a good word? Unreal? Understressed? Not finding the right word here, but I think you get the general picture.

Thoughts While Drowning:This is frickin' epic. A nice start with a Metallica-esque metal sequence, fading out with a raining loop, and leading out into the piano part, which consists of the main portion of the track. Sure, it does sounds similar to it's original source, but the slides you added makes it all the better. My advice, though, see if you can't make it longer. It just seems to go by (BAM) like that. Just a little tidbit. :lol:

Unnamed Kakariko Song:If you're looking for a name, I'd suggest something to do with lullabies, cause that's what I thought of - the lullabies my mom used to sing to me when I was a toddler. Anyways, to the piece...yeah, it's nice. Slow, yet giving the sort of punch with the banjo in the background. The xylophone in the background at 1:02, however, is rather unnessecary, and kinda ruins that part for me (thank God it only lasted a couple of seconds).

Anyways, you did a good job, and I have no doubt you'll be successful one day! :wink:

which guitars on the Koopa song are you guys referring to? because the rhythm guitars that play that main riff are actually distorted bass guitars, so that might be why they sound weird. I kind of did want them to sound "unreal," or at least, really low and growl-y.

but the album is released now, so I don't really feel like going back to fix anything. here's the final version that's on the CD:

img.php?fid=678

I'm thinking about submitting this (resubmitting, technically) to OCR. you think this is submittable?