Final Fantasy 8 - Laguna's Theme

larsdood

this is really decent it has tons of potential but it needs some shine the synths youre using sound default ish. this track needs some more swing with the hats when the main lead comes in. in speaking of the lead it would really shine if you can get a high sneering lead something that cut through the mix a lil. and the kick needs to be more harder not too much but more punchy. this is sounding like its shaping up to be a really good track. keep at it

The drums and bass line are too repetitive. For as particular as that pattern sounds, doing subtle things to the beat would probably help a lot. I'd also recommend layering newer stuff sooner/faster and keeping them in, this song is too minimalistic in a bad way.

I also think you wait way too long for the melody to come in. A minute and a half intro (even if it is dancy) will probably not sit well with the judges.

You really could just bring in the melody way before 1 minute in, doesn't seem like it would change too much.

When we get to like 4:45... I feel like you should have done this about 2 minutes into the song.

Some of the synths sound very default-ish, but that could just be a stylistic choice.

You have some very interesting stuff going on later in the song, but it just takes too long IMO to get to them. Gotta keep the listener interested enough to stick around.

Good luck, nice interpretation so far.

Listening to this, the initial impression is that there is not nearly enough happening in this song. The largest problem is that while there are interesting changes happening, some of the most salient elements remain the same for far too long (the bass and the drums in particular). You need to be changing some of them up along with the textures if you want this to work for the listeners.

Watch out for your source usage, if you're looking to get on OCR. There's just not enough in there, as it stands.

Instruments are bland... blah blah, this has been addressed before by people who know better than I, so just take their word for it ;)

The soundscape is fairly hollow, in this track. It sounds like that's what you were going for, but in combination of the lack of change in many parts make it a bit too much for the listener to swallow.

I'm going to say your production value isn't bad. It's clean and easy to listen to, the mix never drowns itself with too much sound, and the balance of every instrument is appropriate. Nice production :)

This is a good source, and the remix isn't terrible. It's just a bit bland, as it stands, and doesn't sound enough like the source.

ZOMG Laguna's theme!! U get an A just for attempting to remix this one - one of my fav's for ff8 lol.

Anyways, time to get down to critting...

I love the chill feel - it's kinda like Laguna in a beauty pagent lol. Wow...bad image. Moving on! woah...1:25 and still no real change to the track :S, maybe add in some other support melodies or chords into the later part - cuz this track takes a long time to get into the high gear. And yeah, I agree with MonoB, the DnB rhythm is wayyyy too repetetive, needs some MAJOR varying up. Maybe also have the track change styles halfway? This song file is way too long too. Y'know, if this wasn't OCR this would get posted anywhere else (I think), cuz OCR has some limitations regarding length and file size, etc.

Over all, I enjoyed this track, but there's some changes you'll need to do. Good luck bro :wink:

Oh and you inspired me to do my own remix of this track lol. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to this again, there's a lot of subtle changes that connect it to the source quite well, in the beginning. The only problem is that most people cannot hear it, so just be aware of that when remixing (I had a remix rejected recently because, while I thought there was more than enough source, the J's didn't hear any at all).

Just a little more to think about when remixing :-o.