Trigger Happy Laguna (The Man With The Machine Gun)

So, in the past days I've made a bit of a remix of the song "The Man With The Machine Gun" from the game Final Fantasy VIII (8 for morons :lol:) and I just decided I'd post it here for the hell of it. This wasn't really a serious project, just a remix I made cause I was bored. Don't be afraid to give me your opinions about it, I'm not real uptight about criticism and shit.

http://soundcloud.com/general-gilliam/trigger-happy-laguna

What the hell? This is the third Laguna track in here in a week or two, I love it!

Strange, I like the use of the FFVIII (or 8 for morons) samples in the beginning, along with the slight changes made to the track. It caught me off guard, in a good way.

It's pretty repetitive, overall, and it sticks to the source quite strictly. Being conservative isn't a big deal, but repeating the same material over and over again isn't really pleasing to the ears, after a few minutes. I understand you played around with the samples a bit, making them sound like machine guns, but that didn't really help.

The samples are a little bland, but that's mainly due to the fact that you used the same ones over a 7 minute song. It would be more enjoyable if you either changed up the sounds periodically or you shorten the track by 5 minutes, cutting the repetition (I'm leaning towards the latter, here).

I love the drumwork, personally - The snare is just awesome. Great work, there.

Alright, that's my critique. I'm going to upload a Laguna remix, now, just for the lulz :lol:. Always great to see some FFVIII/8 love on here (especially when it's all about LAGUNA!!).

Thanks for the feedback man. Yeah, I've been browsing the forums and am now seeing all the Man With The Machine gun tracks pop up. I actually started work on this before I even signed up for my account here, so I didn't know there was other ones being made (I probably wouldn't have made this if I did). I'm definitely gonna work on changing it up a bit and shortening it too.

I did stick to the source for the most part, I guess it was really more of a re-imagining than a remix, but eh, screw it lol. The only thing I really changed on it was the drums (my own personal mix) and added the bells in the background to give it a crisper sound. Thanks for the comment about the drums, as they are the only instrument in the song that I actually played/recorded in real life, the rest was all done with FL. 1 question though, what did you mean about making it sound like a machine gun? I had no intentions of doing something like that and I don't hear it. Where exactly are you talking about?

A lot of this sounds like it came off a Genesis, and not in a good way; some of your samples are just terrible quality. Kicking right off with the "aah"s in the background was overkill, you can't just skip right to the drama. The song was really repetitive, and you could probably squeeze that same amount of variation into a way more pleasing three or four minutes.

It ain't bad, though. The ending in particular sounded pretty badass, cutting away to just the drums, the bass, and the bloops. I'd have used that for the intro, myself, transition into the song a bit before you bring in the cheesy voxes.

Alright, I'll try and add some sort of an intro onto it. I'll also try and find another choir sample for FL that doesn't sound so shitty lol. I'm also in the process of shortening it up/making it less repetitive, it's only like that because I looped it a bunch of times (not the best idea in hindsight). I fixed the "machine guns" you were talking about. And finally I'm adding more of my own style to it, making some experimental verses and such.

I'll post a V2 when I get a decent one done. Also, is it possible to change the status from Finished to Work In Progress? I clicked the wrong one when I made the thread :lol: