[Twilight Princess] Party Down in Kakariko

mjanzen128

I sent in this remix a LONG time ago, and never got any replies to it. Probably sent it to the wrong email, but I'm impatient when it comes to the judging process, even though its a well worked out process... Anyhoo, the remix...

Everyone knows where Kakariko is. East side of the land of Hyrule (west side if your playing backwards on the Wii version, but every other game the Village is in, its in the East side) just waiting for us to discover it! Anyone who's been there knows that the people who live there are lovable and cannot be hated whatsoever, but through the ages and centuries, Kakariko became a ghost town of sorts. Long before that though, a young boy in green showed up to a party the village was having. This is the song that started that party. The Party Down in Kakariko!

Remix

Party Down in Kakariko

Sources

Ocarina of Time: Kakariko Village (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFhCZL6qp4)

CORRECTION: THIS IS ACTUALLY FROM OCARINA OF TIME, NOT TWILIGHT PRINCESS. I WAS JUMPING THE GUN THERE CAUSE I WAS LISTENING TO MULTIPLE VERSIONS AT THE TIME OF POSTING.

I'm not hearing the Twilight Princess variations on Kakariko at all, you'd do better to attribute it to Link to the Past.

The concert applause at the beginning and end don't really fit with the very synthetic-sounding samples, and chiptune bits no less.

Other than that, I just plain don't like the style, so I can't be very constructive.

Sort of schizophrenic in a sense. You tend to move away from variations or change tempos/modulate very quickly. It keeps the mix from being really cohesive, imo. In addition, I think too much of the song is just straight source. You really need to put it something that makes it your own, even if it's just a small counter-melody here and there.

You've got some great ideas, but try expounding on them a little bit before you move on to the next section of the song. Don't try to pack everything into one song, let your ideas develop and take root more.

EDIT: I'm going to have to agree with Spakku here, it sounds more like the LttP or OoT version of Kakariko than the TP version (where's that melody starting at ~0:10?).

yeah, not really hearing the TP influence. crowd sample at the beginning/end does feel out of place, and the tempo changes seem pretty random - the first one caught me really off guard. there are some cool instruments like the layered chip/guitar lead at the beginning, and some nice grooves at times, but the mix sounds a bit thin overall and the arrangement is pretty repetitive, and also too conservative with the source usage. there's not really any variation of the melody and it does that up-a-half-step key change in just about every melodic section, which gets old as well.

the sound quality is alright, but your instruments are kinda bland. overall, not too bad, but some more personalization on the arrangement and production fronts would give it a lot more life.

You've got some interesting ideas and I'll give you props for trying to pull off the tempo changes, but I think you used it too frequently and too early in the song for it to be a really effective choice. It does help break up what would be an otherwise-monotonous song, since your groove and your melody are pretty much the exact same throughout the whole song, so good job for trying that. Modulation should be used sparingly though so it doesn't make the song feel spastic.

A few production notes; your strings are really, really piercingly loud. Throw a limiter on them or turn down the volume a bit, because they really break through the high end and hurt when you're listening on headphones. Also, regarding your panning, I noticed that a lot of elements are panned really hard off to either side, especially in the beginning. It makes the song a bit disorienting and I would consider moving some of your elements (at least the bass) more toward the center.

I know it says you're finished, but take these critiques into consideration in the future so you can improve on the next songs you do. I think you've got a grasp of the ideas of remixing, but it definitely needs some polishing on the production but especially on the arrangement side of things. Keep at it! :-)

I think this is why it didn't go through. Your stuff borrows heavily from the following:

Added by: The Jade Emperor <jade_emperor@vgmusic.com>

Date Added: 2002-06-11

File URL is http://www.vgmusic.com/new-files/KakarikoPartyMix.mid

Uploaded by justin@nci2.net (Hyperion)

Originating IP Address: 208.130.45.87

File Type: MIDI

Game System: Super Nintendo

Game Name: Legend Of Zelda, The: A Link To the Past

Song Title: Kakariko Village (PARRTAAY Remix)

Sequenced by: Hyperion <justin@nci2.net>

Song Originally Composed by: Koji Kondo

I think the judges figured it out fairly quickly. Personally, I'm not against remixing remixes. I'd say keep at it too; but around here though, remixing remixes is looked down upon very seriously by the judges panel.

Sorry dude. Try submitting it to Remix the Sauce. Maybe they'll get you a spot.