*NO* Leander 'leanderesque'

djpretzel

Hi, this is Bloomer, mixer ID 389 I believe!

I'm submitting my remix 'Leanderesque', from the Commodore Amiga game 'Leander', from 1991.

Developer/publisher is Psygnosis, Travellers Tales.

The specific track I've remixed is the Shop Song.

The original composer is Tim Wright.

You can get the original Shop Song MOD here:

http://www.coldstorage.org.uk

Hit the MODs section. The song title is 'Shop', from Album/Project 'Leander'. It was to be found on page 07 when I wrote this. I haven't given a direct link in case the site changes.

My mp3 is here:

Personal comment: Leander's soundtrack is well-known in MOD circles, but oddly I like this track more than the in-level music. In a post-overdosing on Aphex Twin period, my original more verbatim doodlings of the song in Music 2000 evolved into something more Aphex Twinnish. Believe it or not, this took about half a year to put together on and off, due to an amazing/horrible journey involving tracking it on a PS1 originally, then manually transcribing it over to the PC version of the same program (a couple of months in itself) then compensating for 1000 bugs in that program, and having to copy files between computers all the time. I think musically it's deceptively sophisticated, so I hope if it's too much to absorb in one hit, the judges will give it a few listens so they can hear all the ways I am constantly reconnecting the original melodies, for instance in the intro, where it won't be apparent at first. Pardon me for so much editorialising but I was just driven to say this because my first review at vgmix came from some lackwit from Sweden: 'too much going on', 'too much drums!' and 'you could have done better in half a year!

Horrible! Awful!' etc. Presumably the whole of Aphex Twin's output would be too much going on for this guy.

ANYhow!.. thanks for listening and I hope you like it.

Thanks -

Wade Clarke AKA Bloomer

right off the bat the GM is killing me. the low strings also seem to be in the wrong key.

the arrangement gets more...well...complicated. in that the lead instrument/s are all over the place. but it really just sounds jumbled and random.

in the middle there's a pretty cool interlude that is a nice change of pace, but most of the time the mix is just head-throbbing in its pace and density.

NO

I remember checking this out when it arrived at VGMix a short while ago looking for VGF Pimp Section material, and this was nothing like the quality of "Proxima Path" at all. Like Vig said, it's way too GM-ish and there's not enough cohesion going on with this one. I don't think it's quite as scattershot as he says, but it's still an earful. The first 3 seconds of the intro was one of the most jarring experiences I've ever had. It does get much better after that though.

Unlike Dr. Fruitcake's recent efforts, this doesn't push the limitations of MIDI work at all. It's obviously light years beyond Jeff K. Random's work, but nonetheless this is racked with a lot of the flimsiness that subpar MIDIs are known for. If this was at least rendered with some soundfonts, I'd give this much more of a chance, because I certainly hear a lot of the style that made me enjoy Proxima Path.

When Bloomer said that this was deceptively sophisticated, he wasn't lying at all. Maybe given more time, I'd come around to the compositional ideas presented here. But I can't lie; I really expected a lot more from Bloomer's follow-up submission and this isn't it. Though not something I'd ever envision the panel passing, the arrangement is actually pretty promising, but the overall mix isn't when it sounds like this. He'll bounce back with something better, I hope.

NO

Whoa...GM...

Yeah, I agree with Larry about the deceptively sophisticated. There's no other way to describe this. However, I'm inclined to agree with Vig too; it seems to be needlessly dense sometimes; it's numbing. After a while it became a blur of boops and beeps; I had a hard time staying focused on this. It seems to just get more complicated as it goes, and compounded with the wonky GM sounds.

Maybe I'm not artistic enough to understand this piece; or maybe I am, but just don't find it to be very compelling. Either way, this mix gets a NO.

edit: wow, that last bit really makes me sound like an asshole. :(

OH! Like John Cage! Or something ... I don't know. It's not BAD. Not really my STYLE, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that work WAS put into it. Unfortunately, though, at times it sounds like someone was throwing down notes and beats randomly and didn't really have a good idea of what it was going to sound like when played back. But there are other parts that indicate a semblance of musical knowledge. Random, but I'm gonna give it a YES.

D

Wow, I didn't even vote on the song yet, and already DarkeSword knows what I'm going to say. Am I really that predidillyictable? :(

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT YOU CRAZY PERSON

>_>

SORRY I GUESS I"M JUST BEING RETARDED.

This song gets a NO for 2 reasons.

1. Discodan gave it a YES.

2. Darkesword is awesome.

So anyway, this song is just amateur. Volume levels are all over the place. Pads are long and floody. No real attention is put on key, progression, transitions, or overall arrangement. Percussion is crazy and random. Frankly, the song is annoying, but the NO comes from the amateur arranging... and cause Darkesword is a fag.