Hero of Time

I've been working on this for a while. I did submit this once, but it got the form rejection. To be honest, I've learned so much more since I subbed it that I'm kind of glad it got rejected. I took the criticism that was offered in the form seriously and this is what I've done so far:

WIP2

The sources are:

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Temple of Time

Enter Gannondorf

I really would like to get some feedback so I can polish it up and get it submitted.

I'm sorry :puppyeyes:

I'm just not a major fan of this remix, I listened to it 2 times, and thought long and hard and just for me, the intro was, just, boring, no build up, nothing really new to the melody apart from like one split second in the temple of time where a few extra keys jumped in. There might have been more I missed, but if so they were too subtle for me.

The arpy synth, just didnt work, and it got old fast, everthing just felt like a merry-go-round of synthy goodness, which isn't too good for me. 8-O

This is all just me, and my opinion. I'm sure there will be plently who will love it, but when it comes to synth I'm hard to impress.

I'm looking forward to an update! And I'll keep my eyes open for future posts from you!

Oh! But I do like how you have layed out the melodies, I'd suggest adding a few other short ones in there too just to keep it interesting! :razz:

Piano parts are kind'a empty, and don't transition well into the busier electronic sections. I mean, the transition is smooth, but the sound changes quite drastically.

Once we get into the electronic section, the mix seems to stagnate. The drums kind'a hold it back. The overall sound is pretty weak and light, you should read up on how to mix and eq, also practice making your works sound harder and stronger.

It's good arrangement practice and there are good ideas in here that could make it into an ocremix, but you need to improve your production and learn to make things build up and develop before you can get a remix posted on this site. Sorry. Keep mixing, keep learning, keep improving. It took me over a year to get posted, and that's with a few years of experience making music before ocr. Keep it up. :)

I'm working right now to make the piano intro both flow better and sound more interesting (yay alberti?). How would I improve the drums so that they're not holding it back? I think I may completely change how I've laid out the electronic section. It sounds like too much of a medley right now (I mean, it is a medley, but according to the submit standards, it shouldn't sound like a medley). Thank you guys so much for the feedback. It really helps me keep going on this. I've been working on this track off and on for almost a year now. This is what I actually submitted back in December, it's terrible compared to the current Wip in my opinion. I'm going to work on it before the Double's Dash today. Again, thank you guys for the feedback.

Both Rozo and Tydin have some great advice - I personally think you could make this a lot more interesting by working in some subtle synth elements into the intro, and vice versa with the piano in the synth section. I think you could fill out the soundscape a lot (which currently seems a bit empty) by crossing over those elements.

If you're going to keep the intro at the pace that it's at, I would definitely throw in some more ambient pads than you have now, as well. In fact, your whole song could use some added ambiance to fill things out more.

Drums have been mentioned, but some more interesting fills that are composed of more than just kicks (perhaps some electronic percussion) would make this mix a lot more interesting.

There's some other things that could be mentioned, but see what you can do with the feedback you've got so far. I do like the idea of mixing synths and pianos and I think you could make this into a cool sounding song, but it's too sparse right now to really be interesting.

Good luck!

This week I'm going to read up on mixing and mastering, but this weekend (read the last hour or so), I've tweaked the drums a bit. I tried to work in a bit of subtle (well, honestly, not that subtle) "synth like" things (basically ran the piano intro through vocodex). I'm seriously going to take a look at what I've got structure wise and see if I can make it flow better and also make it more coherent. So hopefully, the Wip after this one will be better. Anyways, here's Wip3.