Muted Sidechain

I know how to sidechain in FL. That's not terribly difficult. What I'm looking for is to find a way for the song to sidechain with "nothing" so all I get is the pump without the kick (or w/e I'm using).

So, I tried to google it. I couldn't figure out the right google wording, so I looked at Zircon's "Just Hold On" because I remembered that it had the effect I'm looking for. After playing with around, I deduced that he used a Kick, assigned it to channel 2, and sidechained it. When I play the kick on channel 2, it doesn't make a sound (in fact, nothing assigned to 2 makes any sound, and from what I see, there aren't any obvious tricks) but when I assign it to something else, it makes a sound.

So could someone please help me understand how to do this? I've been really itching to use it. :puppyeyes:

Be sure to select the "Inverted" option in the Mapping formula

That, or set the Base level to 100% and the Vol of the peak controller to be negative. Either works.

And yeah, I always still use the peak controller as well, despite them having "actual" sidechain now. I guess I don't know how to tweak the "true" sidechain to achieve the right sound since I'm not as familiar with it.

No, don't use the Peak Controller method. It's outdated and needlessly complex. Sidechaining in FL9 is now really simple using the FL Limiter plugin. Put it on whatever channel(s) you want to be effected by the kick, then switch the Limiter mode to 'Comp' instead of 'Limit'. In the mixer, select your kick track. Right click on the arrow at the bottom of the channel(s) you want to be effected and click 'Sidechain to this Track'. Now, the kick is sending a sidechain signal to those channels.

What this does is make the FL Limiter act as a compressor triggered by the KICK. So, just lower the threshold and increase the ratio to tweak the pumping effect, timing, and so on.

It's really a very powerful tool, and more flexible (not to mention smooth) than the peak controller method.

No, don't use the Peak Controller method. It's outdated and needlessly complex. Sidechaining in FL9 is now really simple using the FL Limiter plugin. Put it on whatever channel(s) you want to be effected by the kick, then switch the Limiter mode to 'Comp' instead of 'Limit'. In the mixer, select your kick track. Right click on the arrow at the bottom of the channel(s) you want to be effected and click 'Sidechain to this Track'. Now, the kick is sending a sidechain signal to those channels.

What this does is make the FL Limiter act as a compressor triggered by the KICK. So, just lower the threshold and increase the ratio to tweak the pumping effect, timing, and so on.

It's really a very powerful tool, and more flexible (not to mention smooth) than the peak controller method.

I already knew that method, I figured it out. What I was looking for is a way to get the kick to be silent, but still sidechain the pad. I haven't figured out how to do it with this method (although I admit, I do like the new way better).

I've been making some trance and I think i side-chained the kick to the master channel.. that's what you're supposed to do, right? So it cuts through the mix. I'm not sure how to set the individual settings in the limiter once I set it to comp though, on the master channel. But I set the kick to sidechain to the master and raise its volume to 100%. It seemed like it was working, I dunno. Have a hear for yourself and let me know. I thought it sounded like the kick was making the pad pump a little.

stats.png

And no, it's not a very creative song, but I was told to make "hyper trance".. and uhh... I don't make a lot of trance... whatever :-)

Here's another one, new..

stats.png

Ok... It doesn't seem to make a difference to my ears when I change the comp limiter's settings. I click on FX channel 1 which is the kick, tell it to sidechain to master channel 100%... Am I doing it backwards or what? Or do I just have the "idea" behind how you're supposed to do it, wrong? And is it safe to have a second limiter in there actually limiting? :-P

I don't remember seeing ratio when it becomes a comp... I'll check again soon.. this may be what I was missing.