* Your ReMixer name : FFmusic DJ

* Your real name : Haroon Piracha

* Your email address : ffmusicdj@yahoo.com

* Your website : http://ffmusic.net

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : ffmusic dj

ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed : Xenogears

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : The Egg of Dreams

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :My inspiration? it was the new PMM cd coming out, this is a 'dance remix' of a xenogears trance remix I made for PMM trance album and it's just for ORC. It was made like a year ago and I had difficulties with the song being compressed and mastered so I didnt submit it, well, now, it's fixed! yes I have RE-mastered the song and I am submitting to ORC the first copy of it. I used cubase sx and the latest software/hardware mixing technology to finished off this song, so it should sound top notch and professional. thanks for your time.

The opening was some of Haroon's familiar sound, and sounded nice and clean until the low-end support came in at 0:15 and made things sound more muffled. When that support dropped out at areas such as the first iteration of the melody at 1:08, everything sounded clean once again. Haroon needs to look into how to tweak the bass thumps to prevent their inclusion from obscuring the rest of the sounds. Again at 2:17, I had those same problems with the bass thumps during a more uneventful section, and at 2:44 when the music thickened up with even more activity, the high-end frequencies could have been toned down a bit, yet those were all considerably minor problems I felt inclined to point out.

Otherwise, once I compared things with the original and observed the direction FF moved things in, the overall rearrangement of Mitsuda's "Shattering Egg of Dreams" worked really well for the dance/trance genre, and the production is just over the bar IMO considering the issues I had with it. No matter what Haroon says he did with the production, it will be an issue, because it needs improvement. Personally, I've heard decidedly more interesting remix material from FF's body of work with more unique structures and sound choices, but it's not difficult for me to see that he gets the job done here. I was originally gonna NO this on the production side, but putting it on the shelf and listening to it again two days later showed me that it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I felt the product was much stronger on the rearrangement side, which was more important to me and enough to change my mind. Not an enthusiastic YES, but that doesn't change the vote.

EDIT: Or does it? I'll always say that Vigilante is the best judge we've got, as he breaks everything down so easily. The lead is indeed anemic, no getting around it. I'd rather hear this polished up with sharper, non-gimpy sounds, a thickened up texture, and the harmony brought out to a more prominent position, as it does in fact do a disservice to Haroon's skills. I think the rearrangement is very passable, and the production still didn't bother me as much as it'll bother everyone else, but there IS a lot of imbalance in the production that holds this back from sounding very good, and I don't wanna improperly downplay that in my vote, which ultimately wasn't enthusiastic enough to begin with. I'll do a rare flip-flop and say NO go. I liked it, but this could and should be worked on to overhaul the sound quality and bring it to the level it should be at.

there is a lot of clashing in this remix, there is little effective harmony, and the instruments all seem to hate each other. there's no texture, no blend, and mostly no subtlety. i think the bass isnt strong enough. in fact, many of the instruments suffer from anemia.

i think if a lot of it sounded fatter, it would be alright, but this is a sure

NO

Yea, basically the drums are all clipped, terribly eq'd and very very annoying. Perhapse intentional clipping? Doesn't change the annoying factor. The melody is just too damned remedial. NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE quantized at 1/8. Just not at the ocr level. Lots of nifty sound effects.

Overall mastering is just really bad. My winamp is smiling at me. Highs and Low mids over amp'd. As for the rest of the song, its nothing an auto arp can't accomplish with a few penciled in notes.

Overall very subpar.

NO

Eh...I dunno about this one. It's got a nice sound to it; personally I like the synths and the beat. However, it's just really repetitive, especially that part starting around 1:09. It just feels very boring. I think there could be more interesting things going on during the fifth or sixth iteration of the line. It sounds dead with not even so much as some basic hatwork going on.

It's got a clear, clean sound, but the arrangement is pretty basic. Enjoyable in it's own right, but it doesn't really push the bar. :(

NO