*NO* Xenosaga 'No Pain'

djpretzel

email sub file xenosaga_No_Pain.mp3 - djp

Hi,

this is a small ReMix of "Pain", one of the two Songs from Y.Mitsudas Soundtrack to Xenosaga Episode 1. I always liked the melody, although the lyrics are quite cheesy...

"kindness is something I don't want or need.."

- oh dear ;-)

Anyways, here's a vocal-less version, with nice flute guitar synth bass sounds... all performed live by talented musicians...

or maybe not...

Just in case the Id-Tags didn't work:

Songtitle "Xenosaga - No Pain"

OV by Yasunori Mitsuda

RMX by

Have fun (or maybe not)

Alexander Prievert

I'm torn on this one, it's got some nice sounds, and it's a good progression, but two problems

first, it meanders, it doesnt really have form or direction.

second, there are clearly two separate guitar parts, but they are both played on the same patch, same level, etc. just doesnt work. the patch isnt even good. the accompanying guitar should be quieter, on a different patch.

NO

I agree with Vig on the nature of the guitars but didn't mind it as much. Whatever that was coming in underneath at 0:55 (sounded like some bootleg wind) sounded pretty gimp. Slight timing issues, mostly from the countermelodic guitar, wouldn't have bothered me if things sounded more realistic.

Even when the wind instrument was supposed to be the lead at 3:13, there was no energy behind it and it didn't stand out in the foreground. A little too dry there. The light ambiance throughout the track was ok, but should have been brought up a bit more.

A little directionless at first glance, but it functions well as background music, so I'm not docking points for that. Might have been able to shave some time off this since it's repetitive, but I liked it for what it was, even though I wouldn't objectively pass it as is. Refine the sounds and bring up the ambiance a bit. Don't know how it compares to the original, but this was actually pretty chill at some areas, so if it's good on the arrangement side, I'd be down for a resubmit.

NO

I don't have a problem with the guitars. The flute however, is a different story. It's quite lifeless and mechanical. There's little expression there. Interesting whooshy sounds though; I like those.

Vig is right though; this really meanders throughout the piece. It does function nicely as background music.

I just think it lacks direction. Borderline NO. If anyone can convince me otherwise, I'll change my vote.

I just played through this game recently and have to say the music in the game wasn't really there. Anyway, I do like what has been done here as far as the arrangement and construction. The concept is good, but the execution is lacking. So I must agree with the other judges. I did enjoy the flute lines. They were the best part of the mix for me. Production is lacking. Guitars and flute are really begging for effects processing. They sound really dull and drab.

Borderline NO.