*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Red'

djpretzel

Not bad for a laid back approach. The ambient synth providing support was pretty dry and didn't fill up the space like it should have. Shakers never really provided any variation. When the unnatural-sounding wind support came in at 1:26, things mushed into the low end frequencies and crowded things up, so some separation is needed. The mid-range was almost non-existent, and there wasn't much variation or development in the structure. Drum ending was pretty anti-climactic. Some potential in the ideas at least, but a hell of a lot more to go. Dry sounds and a repetitive flow aren't gonna do it.

NO

Larry summed it up, basically. Dry and repetitive; I also wanna add that the flute is mechanical as heck man. :(

Sounds aren't that interesting either, especially the one lead sound that's carring the melody. It sounds very generic; something fatter (OR PHATTER, YO!) could have been more beneficial.

Not a bad concept but needs a LOT of work in the variation department.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much agree with the other judges here. This type of music is not easy to pull of as is shown here. There needs to be more instrumentation here. I think this needs some more reverb too. The flute is indeed very mechanical. I would put some chorus and delay on it, to add more dimension to the sound.

The mix as a whole is a little too repetitive. I like the synth bells - try layering it with more bells to get a thicker sound. I also would move the shaker. Maybe it's a personal taste, but shaker action of this nature sounds better with headphone listening, if it was left of center.

Post this in the WIP/Completed forum at OC. A number of people will enjoy this. Neat mix. I do like the mood here, but more is needed on various aspects. NO