I want to get into electro *LOOKS AT PROTOTYPERAPTOR, BLIND, OTHER ELECTRO ARTISTS*

As the title says, I want to start gettin into electro house or whatever it's called. I've been wantin to for a while but I didn't really know where to start and I still don't really. I've tried googlin for answers but I didn't really get anywhere. So for any electro artists out there(and based on the title you should know what time of electro I'm talkin about), can you give me some insight about where, and how to start making electro house music?

Listen to it, learn to do its constituents like the aggressive bass, hard beat, and signature side-chaining.

This especially. When I heard of side-chaining it sounded like some arcane black magic from the DAW world but following a basic tutorial got me started. You could get your mixes loud and proud through some meticulous sidechaining.

Sidechaining seems to be very different in FL9 and FL8. Zircon has a

for the new method.

Electro-house still has alot of variety in of itself.

There's artists like Wolfgang Gartner who seem more "house" and than artists like Justice who are more, I dunno, "electro?"

Sidechain, and distort the shit out of relatively simple (simple as in 1-osc maybe 2) waveforms in synths. NI's Massive is used a LOT in electro-house.

I <3 Massive

anyway, to just show people how I approach these things I'm going to do a video walkthrough here in the next few days going over one of my more recent tracks - how I started it, some synthy tricks, effect chains, etc etc.

any preferences? I dunno how in depth I'll go but at least it'll show you how much micro-editing you're in for haha

Actually now that you ask I don't have any really lol xD. A lot of stuff I should probably experiment on along with listen to some music as Rozo said. I would like to see some tips on getting a good, full bass sound and mixing it in, and side chaining, and what type of elements should also be side chained. Oh and how you get your stuff so loud. I've been wanting to get a few more dbs out of my stuff for the longest time but I can't see to do so lol xD.

anyway, to just show people how I approach these things I'm going to do a video walkthrough here in the next few days going over one of my more recent tracks - how I started it, some synthy tricks, effect chains, etc etc.

any preferences? I dunno how in depth I'll go but at least it'll show you how much micro-editing you're in for haha

No preferences, but I'd really like to see it- those all sound like great points to hit. :grin:

yeah, that's the key really. just listen to artists with sounds you like and try to copy them. massive has some cool preset waveforms if you want something a little more interesting than saw/square, but really it's all about using effects well. in my experience, at least.

Yeah I found a lot of really cool presets in Massive. I will start by using those. I'm gonna try to keep a focused mind one day and try to figure out Massive and get the sounds that I want from it.

I've been lookin around loopmasters to find a good deal on some electro house drums. It's a hard choice. I'm gonna give it another run through maybe I'll find somethin this time.

When you experiment, do so consistently.

Start with a single oscillator. The default/init patch in Massive is actually not that good; it should use one filter. I'll post a good one when I get back. Go through the wavetables and scroll through the contents of each; then, route an envelope or LFO to it. Apply a simple effect - temposynced delay or reverb - and play a slowly evolving sequence with an arpeggiator. If you use a simple sequence, you'll notice how much of an effect that evolving character can have already.

Then, engage the second oscillator and learn all variations - how does saw at 0 and square at +12 semitones sound? And like that for lots of combinations; an awful lot of sounds in electronic dance music are ridiculously simple: it's what's happening around them what makes it work.

Electro is the new Techno :-/

you mean house?

if you wana do somthing like electro house, then your looking in to partial repetitive music

like simple form A1-A2-A3-A4 then B-C , example

you got to be nasy with a synth in finding sound and or use the signature pluck synths especially if you want bass line saws with slight distortion.(note do not use plugin distortion units with synths, they will sound like crap unless your using sylenth 1 with its built in distortion unit, its sick :)

if you wana do stuff like that in these parts of electronica, you should try Ableton for work flow rewired with fl, ableton sidechaining is a bit more optionus(if thats a word) then fl's peak controller.... well since ableton needs a compressor to sidechain, course you will have more options like EQ etc :P

lol just my house input, feel free to correct me anyone ;p

Well whether Gecko was joking or not, Sonic, I was bein specific like this:

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRLp3RaGqM

Or for the best representation of what I'm talkin about:

http://prototyperaptor.bandcamp.com/album/penultimate

So for the most part I've been doin what everyone has mostly said in this thread, experimenting, and I'm working on a song now for a contest thats 'electro' in nature, and I've been patiently waiting for some video tips from PrototypeRaptor for some more help xD.

Well whether Gecko was joking or not, Sonic, I was bein specific like this:

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRLp3RaGqM

Or for the best representation of what I'm talkin about:

http://prototyperaptor.bandcamp.com/album/penultimate

So for the most part I've been doin what everyone has mostly said in this thread, experimenting, and I'm working on a song now for a contest thats 'electro' in nature, and I've been patiently waiting for some video tips from PrototypeRaptor for some more help xD.

indeed as i said, repetitive form of music, and/or with long ass build ups in the beat and synth cutoffs, sfx, drums, rhythem, and other things.

if you wana do stuff like that in these parts of electronica, you should try Ableton for work flow rewired with fl, ableton sidechaining is a bit more optionus(if thats a word) then fl's peak controller.... well since ableton needs a compressor to sidechain, course you will have more options like EQ etc :P

lol just my house input, feel free to correct me anyone ;p

FL has sidechain, now, fyi

Peak controller was replaced a long time ago... a LONG time ago.