*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Machine Gun Hedgehog' *FT*

Protricity

Hey there Protricity,

My name is Kevin Sisk, a.k.a. Kevin "Lorenzo" Sisk, a.k.a. Debeerguy, a.k.a... that... "Terminator2... remix...guy." :?

Anyhoo, I submitted a Sonic & Knuckles remix entitled "Machine Gun Hedgehog" about three months ago. Although I did receive a confirmation email, I was wondering if you can check on the possibility that it fell-through. It would be very much appreciated.

And here's a few links of the Mp3 for ya, just in case the submission email can't be found:

Anyway, sorry to trouble ya with this stuff. I just got worried is all.

-----------------------------------------

P.S. Here's my remixer's comments/thoughts on the piece, In case the thing gets posted. You never know, right?

Kevin Lorenzo Presents

"Machine Gun Hedgehog", A Sonic & Knuckles Remix

Okay, this is the Act 2 boss theme from both Sonic 3 AND Sonic & Knuckles.

Because this music is played in different levels in both games, I had to sit down and think about which level in which game should this remix reflect.

I chose to reflect the sequence at the end of Mushroom Hill in Sonic and Knuckles where Sonic chases Robotnik(aka Eggman) in the forest through the usage of fast drumwork in certain places. It's a bit more radical then my previous effort but all in all, I'm satisfied with the result.

Too low key and unpleasant. Synths are ugly, awkward. Song repeats a lot. I like how the percussion is handled. Work for a cleaner remix.

NO

Pretty good groove going along for the first 43 seconds, so the buildup towards the source tune wasn't bad. Good stuff until :54-1:04 when those drums came in, since they didn't have much realistic-sounding power behind them.

Really disliked the sound of the drums coming in at 1:18-2:00 and later on at 3:05-3:25. Instrumentally, that was probably the weakest link for me as those drums lacked any real punch or realism to them. The rest of the percussion work sounds good, and all of the percussion sequencing/variation was quality, even when I didn't like the sounds chosen during those two areas I mentioned.

Those are minor details of the big picture though. More importantly, the Robotnik boss theme melody's all but buried underneath the drumwork at times, and the synth used for the lead is fairly flat, so those things in tandem worked towards the lead (AND the high-pitched countermelody you had) getting buried by beats for quite a while. 1:38-2:00 was particularly lacking with the sound balance as a result, so anything you can do to create some more separation of sounds would help this out.

Like Prot & Malc have also suggested above, better-sounding/livelier synth choices for your melody & countermelody, a sharper-sounding mixdown, and working in one or two more ideas beyond the 2:32 mark so the mix doesn't retread its steps so much are all things that can be done to bring this up and over the bar. Promising stuff is certainly in place so far, Kevin.

NO