MegaMan Battle Network 3 N1 Grand Prix Theme

jabond23

So here's my Mega Man Battle Network 3 N1 grand prix battle theme remix. Damn, that's a long title! I feel this is almost finished, but i really need some advice to polish it off. I usually do straight out metal remixes of songs, but i feel that's sometimes a little overboard. I spent a lot of time on this over the past couple weeks and really trying to nail it down. My hope is that one day, i make a remix worthy of this fine website. :D

Source :

Remix:stats.png

Absolutely one of the better tracks in the series. This made that entire section of the game amazing. The best one they made, IMHO. But that's a discussion for another place and time.

Alright, let's break this down:

-Your beginning... sounds awful. You're trying to match the sound of the original orchestra hits, but it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the track. Try to get a better build-up at the beginning.

-I really don't have much complaints about the arrangement of the song. Switching leads seems to lend enough variation to ignore complaints of repetition.

-However, the entire song seems to be blown out; it clips everywhere, especially once the guitar comes in. Really, really drop your master volume, then make sure things are equalized. Then it'll be easier to judge the other parts of the mix.

Direction's good. Just work on making it sound great, too.

I'm not familiar with the original so I may be wrong but in the middle section about 1:00 or so in (I can be sure as tindeck doesn't have a scrolling timer) the backing guitar chords are a little out of time and seem to be in some way incorrect. The midi voices+bass+guitar chords seem to clash for some reason so I'd perhaps look at that, I think it may be to do with the bass. Unless this was intended?

I enjoy this though, very exciting and epic. Great lead guitar sound but the rhythm guitar in the section I mentioned before & onwards doesn't match in quality, maybe this should be re-recorded or mixed differently?

I think that guitar may be slightly out of tune, or maybe sounds like it because of the chorus you have put on it?

I may be wrong though.

I agree with what everyone else says though the mix is very unclear as everything is right in my face!

But the arrangement seems great, keep it up!

I've basically got to agree with everyone else's comments. The mixing and effect processing are really holding this back. Sounds like everything is washed in this flood of reverb, which makes it almost impossible to separate the different track elements. Everything gets muddied up as a result. Real pity, because I'm digging on the arrangement.

Ok, here's my 2nd update finally.

stats.png

This should be a huge improvement over the first. Of course, the main change here is the update. Also, the intro has been redone slightly to note be so close to the source. I also redid the clean guitars during the 2 quiet breaks in the song. It follows more of what the guitar plays on the last part of the song with the distortion. I also kinda tweaked the snare. I'm trying to get a good snare sound without it being too thin. Let me know what ya guys think?

Thanks. :D

Much stronger intro, and the effects are much less washed-out. But without them, some new problems have been exposed.

- That guitar is severely flat in several places, if not during the entire first two times it shows up (0:49 and 1:36).

- The rhythm guitar you have during the slow spots isn't necessarily pitchy, but it is seriously out of rhythm. (1:00)

At this point, just work on tightening the instruments, and make sure they all fit well together. You have a solid set of synth choices, I think, that mesh well together. Just make sure pitch and rhythm's worked out soon.

Yeah, i noticed that after you mentioned it. I added some better quality delay to the leads and they seem to flow nicer now and also re-recorded the clean guitars again. I noticed the delay i had on them was throwing them off sync. They should be good now.

stats.png

Wow, nice source. Quick breakdown cause I don't have a ton of time:

Ok, things are pretty cluttered when everything comes in. I think this needs some balancing attention: the drums are pretty distant, while the pads/strings take up a lot of room. The guitars are a bit loose with timing at several points in the mix. Also, the synths (at least in intro), sounded pretty generic/uninteresting. EQ wise, there's some high end fuzz throughout that's bugging me a bit - might be from your guitars or something I don't know.

The good: lots of energy here when things get going, which is a good thing. Cool lead guitar tone. Good soloing later. Good contrasts in the various sections - sounds pretty good arrangement-wise.

So, fix up the balance, try and get the EQ highs under control or whatever the fuzz is, tighten up the guitar playing, work on the synth design a bit. Lots of potential here, could be very good.

It's nice to see some works in progress covering material from the Battle Network series; I have fond memories of the first three games, especially musically and this one strikes very close to the heart. The way it manages to capture the essence of the network while also bearing influence from other periods in the History of Megaman...

I'm not a trained musician and I judge things primarily on how they sound and how that sound affects me so being that I don't hear any problems with the equalization or any note-for-note, sound-for-sound copying of the source soundchip I don't see that there's anything I can tell you to do with this mix other than submit it to the panel and hope they like it.

:)