*NO* Ristar 'Soft Serve'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name : Ganime

Your real name: Mario Mendez

Your email address: shoushuganime@hotmail.com

Name of game(s) arranged :Ristar

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Ice Scream

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site):

The game was on the Sega Genesis, I believe the composer was Tomoko Sasaki. (not positive)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This mix was made on Logic. Ice Scream was one of my favorite songs on the Ristar soundtrack. I have attempt this song multiple times, but was never satisfied with the mixes that I had.

I like the style change you have here, it's not something I would have expected from the source. As it is right now, however, the actual variation on the melodies of the source are pretty low. I'd like to hear some more original material or variation on the melodies to add more flavor. There are a couple sections that you have and they sound good, but it isn't enough right now. This also feels like it's a run through of the same thing two times. If you are going to repeat the whole song through again, you need to do a lot more to it to make it different from the first time through.

The samples here are sounding very thin, and it makes the whole song feel a bit flimsy. I'd experiment with some different sounds, or maybe layering some things to make the soundscape fuller. Also, everything sounds extremely mechanical. Take a look at the velocities to add some humanization to this.

You've got a good start to this, but it needs more work. Check out the WIP forums for some more feedback, and I'd like to see this again after it's fixed up. NO (resubmit)

Good source choice; I love Ristar.

This mix needs a lot of work. It's essentially a simplified version of the source theme. The feel is changed up from a heavy swing to a straight rhythm, but you've slowed it down and lost a lot of the energy. It's also quite repetitive.

Everything is really mechanical and dry; sounds are passable but the whole thing has a general midi sound to it. You need to create a performance here, not just go through the motions.

This needs a lot of work. Expand the arrangement, interpret more, and make it really stand out as a compelling piece of music.

NO

I'm inclined to agree with the other judges on some points, but I do think that you have an excellent start. I really liked the new feel you gave the track, and I think the instrumentation is pretty good. However it does need a lot more TLC before it could potentially hit the front page. Balncing things throughout the soundscape, humanizing things a bit more to give it a more organic feel, and expanding on your initial ideas are all things that would really improve this. I encourage you to hit up the WIP forums and get some additional tips, but this is definitely an idea worth seeing through to the end.

No, please resubmit