Zelda: Wind Waker - The Legendary Hero

Kylethedarkn

So, I've been working on a new remix lately. This is the first piece that I'm actually recording the notes played live via a midi keyboard. :P

I hope to get this good enough to get on OCReInterpretation, so I appreciate and feedback you guys have for it. :)

This is the very very first export so there will be much more.

UPDATED VERSION:

http://www.box.net/shared/1970p47a0s

You have some speed issues here, it's very uneven. Some parts are much slower than they should be, while a few notes here and there are sped up, and it just makes it feel out of sync. This could be a great mellow track, but you need to decide on a speed for it. :) Have the background instruments slow and ambient, as you do now, but the foreground instruments like the violin and piano, should maybe be sped up a bit, but just a little bit, so that it all syncs.

Sorry I can't give you any timestamps, the player on the site you linked to didn't want to show me the time index of the song properly (could be my browser). :)

^What SZ said.

However, my bigger concern is composition. The melody sounds exactly like the original, note-for-note except for a few connecting notes added in here and there (which don't usually sound like they belong anyway).

I think I might go back and put in the notes artificially rather than have them played in. Its 4/4 @ 80bpm btw.

As for composition, I subscribe to a different philosophy than what most people here do, in that I try to keep as much of the source melodies intact that I can. I'm not going for a reinterpretation here, only a remix. A different take on the same song. Not an entirely new one. :P

I did however add sections and elements that were never in the original behind and separate from the original melodies I kept. Also I will probably change that piano melody at the end to be a bit more dramatic, but the changes to the actually melody will probably be minimal.

Thanks for the feedback though. :)

Also a side note: The power supply on the computer I was using to make this broke, so It'll be a little bit before i can work on this. So expect an update, sometime near the end of the week.

Needs changes to volume during sustains. The midi cc expression is designed for this purpose, and you can probably set your midi hardware to treat the modulation wheel to control expression instead of modulation. Also, a lot of the time it feels like it doesn't have a tempo. Some rhythmic backing is needed in the early parts of the mix.