OCR02153 *YES* Professor Layton 'Luke, a True Gentleman Prefers a Touch of Light Jazz'

Palpable

ReMixer name: ProtoDome

Userid: 25246

Name of game arranged: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Name of song arranged: ‘Puzzle Theme’ or just ‘Puzzle’. I don’t think they were particularly inventive with the name

Original Composer: Tomohito Nishiura

Original Sound Track:

Okay, this one needs explaining; I love Professor Layton ATM, I really do, and whilst the music is effective for the genre it's just... nasty (excluding Layton's Theme- that's quite cool when it gets into it). Take the source for this remix for example- the Puzzle Theme is just a random walk through melodic ambiguity and anguish. It's actually annoying, especially when you're working hard on a puzzle for ages and you've got THIS repeating over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

/rant

But Proto? Why remix this you say? Well, because there was a MIDI for it on VGMusic for one, and two I kinda like giving simple songs complete harmonic overhauls. Hurray!

Anyway, WOW, I've written a freakin' essay. Onto source usage!

:00 - :15 Original

:16 - :31 Section 1 (:00 - :32)

:32 - :39 Section 2 (abridged) (:33 - :47)

:39 - :55 Section 1

:56 - 1:03 Section 2 (abridged)

1:04 - 1:19 Original

1:20 - 1:25 Section 1

1:26 - 1:31 Original

1:32 - 1:50 Section 1

1:51 - 1:59 Ending

Meaning 68 seconds of source and over 50% of 1:59. Thought I’d just clear that up as this is pushing the barrier of liberal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't an essay, nothing like Stevo's submissions of old.

I like what you've done here. It's light on source, true, but it doesn't feel that way because of how it comes back to the source often. Overall I like the textures you have going on here. The piano feels a little bright overall to me, but it might be more high register than the actual sound. I also like the subtle panning you have going on at times.

I can't wait to hear some longer subs by you, dude.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I dig the arrangement a whole lot, but that lead piano sequencing is mad mechanical, and there are a few notes in the piano that hit so hard on the velocities and they are ridiculously painful. That definitely needs to be fixed before I can give this one a yes. :-(

The ending was a bit lacking as well, as the song just kindof ended.

Otherwise, awesome textures and rhythms, and a great feel; the percussive shuffles were excellent.

Very minor fixes needed here, but they are crucial.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree with Deia that the piano was on the (Mr.) bright side - it got irritating to me after repeat listens. I wonder if I wouldn't like this more just played down an octave, though that would change the feel of the song. In spite of that, I do like the arrangement a lot. It's sparse but uses what it has to great effect. I don't think the piano was mechanical in a way that hurt this, it played stiff at times to match the clockwork feel of the song, but at other times there was a little looseness. I did hear a couple of phrases that sounded identical or close to identical and it might have been nice to have those do different things, especially as the song is so short. That's a pretty small complaint and I'm ok having it pass as is.

YES

I like the idea of dropping the piano down an octave, too. The playing sounds a little mechanical, yeah, but I bet we wouldn't notice that so much if it weren't SO bright. It just sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, production sounds great.

The arrangement is on the shorter side, but it's solid. I like that you've lifted the mood of the source tune with your interpretation - and your explanation is hilarious. I agree... that song would have driven me crazy if I were already frustrated working on the puzzle. (And it looks like a lot of YouTubers agree!)

YES