*NO* Ragnarok Online 'Payon Underground (Club Mix)'

djpretzel

Hola.

If this gets accepted, could I please have my remixer name changed from Kimchi to Miku? I just have one other piece on the site (Zelda 4, Secret Seashells) under the name Kimchi. If for some reason that's not possible though, I guess just put it under Kimchi. =|

Game: Ragnarok Online

remix title: Payon Underground (Club Mix)

Original song title: Ancient Groover

Remixer name: Miku

email address: this one

link:

-Miku / Kimchi

Man I must have spent days upon days wandering Payon Cave when I played RO. I was always trying to get to the third level, where you could fight Munaks. If you were lucky, they'd drop a HAT for you.

I never managed to get a hat. :(

Anyway this mix is a fairly straightforward dance version of the Payon Cave theme. I don't particularly think that it's anything special; synths are pretty generic, the song doesn't really develop all that well, and its arrangement is faily close to the original. There's some interpretation there, but I really don't think it's enough.

NO

The choice of sounds really didn't bother me much; I actually thought everything sounded pretty cool regardless. The little break at 2:25 seemed like it was going somewhere, but then by 2:37 it wasn't anything dramatically different from what we had before.

Though I certainly heard a measure of development and progression, DarkeSword's vouched for it needing to do more with the structure of the original, and that's more than enough for me to NO.

Keep working on this by trying to bring a little bit more variety/depth to the sound choices, and go for further rearrangement ideas to expand upon the source tune more. I'd love to see this back here, and I genuinely like the groove so far, Mike. ravon, Ayako & half the users over at Ormgas.com would love to see an RO mix make it, and the foundations here were strong.

NO (refine & resubmit)

well not only are the sounds here pretty generic, the balance between them is awkward.

the break seems to come at an awkward moment too, the transitions are pretty effortless.

not much that stands out here. you could file this under "club music for people who don't go clubbing and thus don't know what good club music should sound like"

the piano is a nice addition, though.

no