Opeth vocals :3

Brandon Strader

Any particular reason you have a lisp while singing?

I just noticed that. Most of the time speech impediments go away when singing but...

I have one of those speech impediments that doesn't go away when singing. Thanks for asking. :-D

I'm going to do these in the order that they were requested, so I think Harlequin Forest is next.

Maybe it goes away if you start brushing your teeth...just sayin'

It's not really a laughing matter. I didn't learn how to speak properly when I was a kid despite going to speech lessons. It's why I almost never talk in person and why my voice is really weak. Doing this practice won't help me get rid of the speech impediment but it should help me gain new vocal strength and technique. :-3

Other people can post their recordings and techniques too if they're up to it.. :o

I can understand having a speech impediment that doesn't go away while singing.

I have an issue where it sounds like I'm slurring my words, so I often overcompensate. I also always sound stuffed up even when I'm not. I'm still working that out, I was just wondering if the lisp was induced by singing with over emphasis or something.

Good news is that i can't hear it when you do death vox so... maybe think of it as if you were doing those?

regardless, I'll post some technical stuff later with examples, just so you can hear what I'm talking about. I dunno if my technique is correct, but my voice is still here and I've been doing it for years.

Often the trick is to not over force it I've found. If you just pretend like its not actually that big a deal it comes out a lot cooler and easier on your cords of vocals I think.

Anyway, keep up with the diaphragm stuff, that is REALLY the key. As far as the speech stuff... I dunno. "She sell seashells by the seashore?" I'm sure its at least a little fixable, at least in the studio, no one could really fault you live I suppose. I mean, on recordings I can barely tell that Tarja from nightwish has a huge finnish accent, but live it shows through really harshly.

Just food for thought, keep it up brando.

I overcompensate consonants with death vox. :-) As a result Demonstray was all like, "What are you doin compressing it and doing it really quietly? I've never heard someone do death vox with consonants that loud" and I'm like o_o I don't do them THAT loud but it's loud enough to clear a room, hah.

Sometimes I have to focus to not say everything I'm trying to say at the same time. Now THAT is messed up. Like a whole sentence's worth of words at once, it just comes out as gibberish. When I got drunk in Vegas, I stuttered for like 10 seconds before each sentence actually came out, hahah...

I wasn't joking.

But... how in the hell does the brushing of teeth cancel out a lisp? I'm no speech pathologist, but I read that a lisp can be caused by an abnormality in the speech centers of the brain. Which would result in words coming out that way, or to mess with the muscle memory used to move your mouth to articulate.

A speech center abnormality could be why some people don't lisp when singing since other parts of the brain are engaged when singing. Some can suppress their lisp by concentrating on shaping their words too.

It could also be an issue in the structure and development of the mouth, as with the tongue, the hard palette, lips etc.

As well psychological shock has been know to cause issues with speaking (selective muteness, stammering) though I don't know if that applies to lisps though, maybe? Who knows.

But I don't see how brushing your teeth does anything other than freshening up stank ass grills. If Brandon Strader has rancid breath, nobody here would know... unless he mailed you a sealed jar he breathed into. But then that would just be creepy.

Guest teresap989
I can understand having a speech impediment that doesn't go away while singing.

I have an issue where it sounds like I'm slurring my words, so I often overcompensate. I also always sound stuffed up even when I'm not. I'm still working that out, I was just wondering if the lisp was induced by singing with over emphasis or something.

Good news is that i can't hear it when you do death vox so... maybe think of it as if you were doing those?

regardless, I'll post some technical stuff later with examples, just so you can hear what I'm talking about. I dunno if my technique is correct, but my voice is still here and I've been doing it for years.

Often the trick is to not over force it I've found. If you just pretend like its not actually that big a deal it comes out a lot cooler and easier on your cords of vocals I think.

Anyway, keep up with the diaphragm stuff, that is REALLY the key. As far as the speech stuff... I dunno. "She sell seashells by the seashore?" I'm sure its at least a little fixable, at least in the studio, no one could really fault you live I suppose. I mean, on recordings I can barely tell that Tarja from nightwish has a huge finnish accent, but live it shows through really harshly.

Just food for thought, keep it up brando.

I also think so.

watch free movies online

But... how in the hell does the brushing of teeth cancel out a lisp? I'm no speech pathologist, but I read that a lisp can be caused by an abnormality in the speech centers of the brain. Which would result in words coming out that way, or to mess with the muscle memory used to move your mouth to articulate.

Well geez cut me a break here, I'm just a forum poster, not some speech impedimentologist. For all you know not brushing his teeth caused so much gunk to build up between his front teeth that every time he has to pronounce an alveolar consonant it causes his tongue to get stuck in that sticky crap. HELL IF I KNOW.

Two things first Opeth's singer does actually sing and so should you

second branch the fuck out and try different songs from different performers and different styles of music so you don't end up making a bunch of crap nobody wants to hear.

You know what this sounds like to me? Bullshit.

are you supposed to be a troll or something I don't get it

also why did this get moved to off-topic??

This got moved to off-topic because it is exactly that.

Opeth have nothing to do with video games or video game music and therefore neither does this guy who started this thread singing along to growler and death metal.

Like I said previously, bullshit.

This got "moved to off topic" because I originally posted it in off topic. Ferret, you make yourself look bad at every turn. And that's coming from me. Just take off already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Opeth is great, and Akerfeldt does a great job with his vocals, his growl isn't too rough, and his singing voice is very nice. Definitely one of my favorite bands, seen them live 3 times.

I saw them once in Ohio. Fantastic show. I agree by the way!

Dead thread more or less dead, but I'm still up to the numerous challenges listed within here. The main problem right now is that I've gotten on the inverted sleeping schedule again which is hella hard to reverse (so there's people home when I'm up and can't record). The other thing is that I've really slacked out in my practice hard. I tried to record some earlier, and I hit some notes that felt like they were lower pitched growls than I've ever done yet, but I lost control pretty quick due to lack of practice. This thread is a tool I would still like to use. I encourage anyone out there working with this to do that as well.

I've got to get back to & surpass "monkeys disarm their kremlings" as far as my growls go. It's what I do. :-(

Edit: Seriously, I posted this in Off Topic, why'd it get moved to--ahh nevermind, it doesn't matter

He has an artist profil and you don't, go play WoW you angry kid.

Also, if you want to have a vocal like Opeth, and like Eminem, there's a secret way they don't want you to know... ;)

Also, your vocals sound kind of weak, and I throw the fault on the fact that you have neibours and probably don't go at your 100%.

Yes, you make some great points here. Not to go off topic, but really I don't think I am with this story.. but here goes...

I remember going to Ozzfest.. I think it was 2005, maybe 2004. It started at 9am and went until about 11:30pm. So my pop and I get ready and go at like 7am and stand in line at the pavilion. I was probably 17 back then, and my dad never liked growling so I thought I'd be all like, I need you to take me wahhh, and he'd get blown away by people.

Anyway, We get in there and the first band comes out at like 8:45am and it's 2004-era less gay Trivium. They played like beasts, and the dude would scream and be shreddin' stuff at the same time. I think they're the only band that day that impressed my dad, and all these years I was always amazed by their ability to wake up before noon and scream and play, as if they had been up since like 2am preparing. They put on a great show despite having a tiny audience due to how early it was.

I usually have to get up.. drink water or whatever's around.. and wait a few hours for the barnacles to go away in the morning before I can even talk right. :3

I usually have to get up.. drink water or whatever's around.. and wait a few hours for the barnacles to go away in the morning before I can even talk right. :3

Could have to do with how you take care of your voice and stuff. You know, before you go to bed. Or you have sinus issues. Just sayin.

I'm usually to go less than an hour, unless I'm sick. Trivium probably got up at like 6:30 or something to be all ready for that show.

Could have to do with how you take care of your voice and stuff. You know, before you go to bed. Or you have sinus issues. Just sayin.

I'm usually to go less than an hour, unless I'm sick. Trivium probably got up at like 6:30 or something to be all ready for that show.

I either exaggerated that number (few hours) or my brain believes i have perpetual barnacle sickness of the throat. :-P

• 1 year later...