Pair of Mega Man Mixes

d.b

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting in quite some time... I think I submitted something under a different user name something like 7 or 8 years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case, I've got a pair of Mega Man mixes I'd like some feedback on. I've marked them as finished (and indeed, I've submitted one, before I remembered this forum was here), but I'd definitely appreciate some feedback.

The mixes are:

Polychromatic Fields (Mega Man ZX Area A Green Grasss Gradation Remix) (submitted)

http://ekinomori.com/samples/Polychromatic Fields.mp3

All for You (Mega Man 3 Password Remix)

http://ekinomori.com/samples/All for You.mp3

They're of rather different styles, the first being electronic, and the 2nd being largely acoustic. I had originally envisioned the 2nd one as including possibly horns and vocals instead of the electric piano, but then I'd have to write lyrics and sing, and trust me, nobody wants that. ;-)

Thanks!

All for You is a fun track. :D Piano needs to sound more human, it feels like all the notes are pretty much the same velocity and the thing has been quantized. I wouldn't say it sounds sequenced, it sounds too much like fun for that. ;) The track overall could probably use some variation, give it a sense of getting somewhere, like A-B-A2 rather than A-B-A.

Polychromatic Fields... the dry clap is the first thing that bothers me with it. The strings don't feel like they fit, and the attack is too slow no matter the sound. Feels a bit flat dynamically, the 2:45 breakdown was expected, but it took to long for something to happen imo. Could have used some kind of build-up to something before then, and something a little bigger and ending-sounding afterwards.

It's both calming and has a sense of fun to it. Seems to be your forte. :D Not sure OCR will like how the synths' sound, they're in between chippy-simple and adequately complex for non-chippy music. Welcome back, cool tracks to return with. :D

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Rozovian - yeah, you're right, the piano in All for You could stand to be a bit more humanized. I'm still getting the hang of sequencing piano. It's probably better if I just attempt to play it, and correct as necessary. Unfortunately, I suffer the fate of "stupid fingers".

As for Polychromatic, I've been sitting on this one for well over a year, and I've heard it so many times that I've gotten used to how it sounds. But yeah, the clap definitely stands out, the bass drum fade in seems like it might be a little off, and the pads are definitely on the slow side. On this one, I think I was more concerned with the atmosphere than the structure, and perhaps it suffered slightly for it. Regarding the dynamic range, I think I might be misusing my multiband compressor plugin.

Anyway, I'm off to Tokyo for 3 months, (and I'm not sure if I should revise the one I already submitted while it's in the queue), but as time permits, I'll revisit these tracks and see what happens.

Unless you're really turning the compressor up, I think the flat dynamics are an arrangement issue rather than a production issue. Dynamics isn't just volume, it's the perception of intensity. needs to feel like the intensity changes from time to time, it's part of how the track develops (which I tend to do subconsciously on my meandering tracks... with meandering results ;) ).