*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Deep Blue' *FT*

GrayLightning

Krispy Fallthrough

This is a remix of Aquatic Ambience from Donkey Kong Country. I have been listening to an increasing amount of cinematic scores and I think the influence shows through here. I wanted to take this well known theme and portray in a unique way becaise we have all heard this song regurgitated a million times (my personal favorite parts being the beginning and end). People have commented that it doesnt feel finished at the end, and I agree, but after running into numerous sampler troubles I decided it was best to just move on ^_^.

name: Krispy

email: Krispy3000@gmail.com

I heard this waaaaay back. The cinematic feel is definately there. Very Credits-ish. The synth lead for the first minute is simply ugly. Rough and awkward. The harp sounds drastically low quality when compared to just about everything else. I like how this song has new chord progressions; not simply the same ones in the original.

What I really dont like is how the theme is used in the second half of the song. Its simply not very well used. Seems like it was thrown over a different song. Lastly, and most important, the ending sucks. It just cant end like that.

NO

I say keep working on it. I really like how it started, but it needs a conclusion to match that build.

Krispy started this off as his entry to Kong in Concert before he dropped out. As I followed this mix through its WIP stages, it had great potential; cinematic voicings, rolling dynamics, original chord progressions and unique, bombastic handling of the Aquatic Ambiance theme. Five months ago, I thought of having Jesse play guitar for this. Unfortunately, not only did Krispy quit the project, he quit the song. Its B flute and shaker section sounds cheap and contrived compared to the song's beginnings. As it progresses, the instrumentation becomes thinner and thinner and weakens the arrangement as a whole.

Even then, all of that wouldn't equal a NO vote right away. What does is the ending. What the hell is this? I don't care if you ran out of ideas or just got tired of making the song; give this an ending. The conclusion to this mix sounds like a rendering that cut off; it's that bad. Seriously, you must have literally stopped caring to not even resolve the build-up with a basic chord. Very poor to submit it like this.

Write an ending, touch up the latter section with some matter of enthusiasm you showed in the former (smarter development, fuller instrumentation), and I'll put this right back on the panel.

NO

Binnie's right, 2:42 is just weak and could be substantially improved. Very WIP-level/placeholder/I'll work-on-it-later quality there. I pretty much echo Binnie's comments verbatim. This is a WIP, Kris. Finish it, bro. It started off very well and degraded over time. I'd like to YES this and see you get back in the game.

NO (please finish & resubmit)