*NO* Batman 'Gotham Symphony'

djpretzel

Hi!

This is a remix of the "Stage 1" theme from "Batman - Return of the Joker". I tried to give this track a real "Batman" feel, so I used bits and pieces of the original movie theme by Danny Elfman.

Remixer: Emperor

Song name: "Gotham Symphony"

Game: "Batman - Return of the Joker"

Original (track #4): http://www.zophar.net/nsf/batmanrj.zip

Remix:

I hope you'll enjoy listening to this mix as much as I enjoyed working on it.

--

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com

http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

there seem to be problems with the samples. the attack isnt fast enough on the lead, and the strings playing the backing rhythm line sound unrealistic...i think a strict brass patch should have been used. the arrangement is pretty good, i think the time sig changes work really well. most of the time, however, i find myself wishing one instrument were louder, or that a different patch were used. (usually on that rhythm line). the mix could use more low-end.

i'd say boost the low.

NO

Heh, the only good parts in this song are the bits of the movie theme put in there.

I dont have much issue with the string section, but that Clarinet or bassoon or whatever it is really sounds fake. You'd have to work on how you use reverb there as well as how the length of each note affects how realistic it sounds etc. Sounds way too sf.

Don't much like the notation that goes on around 2:37. Could be done better. Jesse is right about the string attacks being way too late.

Song could also use a more substantial ending. This one leaves much to be desired considering the shortness of the song. Suddenly its over.

NO

The slow string attacks are really obvious here and spoil the feel quite a bit. I think that the arrangement is very good indeed. However:

I tried to give this track a real "Batman" feel, so I used bits and pieces of the original movie theme by Danny Elfman.

I do believe that may be a violation of the guidelines.

The mastering could be improved a little by giving the top end a little more presence (just a little!) and by giving the low end some boost as well, to make the sound bigger and more like a soundtrack.

NO

The arrangement is certainly where it needs to be. Still needs to be work done on articulating and humanizing your samples well enough, though, as that was my primary problem with this. The string attacks are indeed too slow, and the abrupt ending really exposes your samples badly.

The EQing on this is terribly lacking, unfortunately. I can't really put it any other way. Nothing sounds sharp at all which particularly affects an orchestral piece like this. I agree with Vigilante in that you desperately need to boost the low end, but the high end is also all but absent from this.

Primarily though, get things sounding more natural and realistic to make the best of your samples, possibly via help from the ReMixing forum, and resubmit. It's unfortunate no one over at the Works forum pointed out the production issues in their comments when the mix was closer to completion as that could have helped as well.

NO

I tried to give this track a real "Batman" feel, so I used bits and pieces of the original movie theme by Danny Elfman.

I do believe that may be a violation of the guidelines.

Just want to clarify here for any Decisions readers that it's not a violation, because Elfman's theme is only used sparingly. This isn't a remix of Batman by Danny Elfman with RotJoker thrown in. It's the other way around, so it's okay. :)