*NO* Mega Man 9 'Asphalt Remix'

DragonAvenger

I am very excited to see if you guys dig this or not! This is my first submission and hopefully not my last. Thanks for your time!

CONTACT INFORMATION

ReMixer name: DeathOfRespect

email address: pete@peterhague.us

user ID: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=33899

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

name of game arranged: Mega Man 9

name of individual song arranged: Concrete Man Stage

comments: Yes, I am fully aware of the insane number of Mega Man remix submissions! However, after hearing the great compositions from the newest 8-bit reincarnations of Mega Man 9 & 10, I really had to take a stab at one of them. I've been creating electronic music for about 7 years now and have been on a Drum and Bass kick lately (hence the bpm somewhere around 180). I hope you enjoy my Asphalt Remix!

----------------------------------

*Just a warning: Mix is very loud about 5 seconds in.*

First off, this mis is LOUD. You could stand to pull the entire thing back to a more manageable level. While I am on that point, the high sounds are honestly a little screechy and not particularly enjoyable to listen. I don't think they should all be removed, but in some sections especially when there is already enough going on, they are just that top level that is whining above everything else. A lot of the mix feels very top-heavy, as well, which is a bit counter-intuitive to a DnB mix. I'd like the top end to be less, and more presence in the bottom end.

The loops that you use are some good choices, but again, for a DnB mix, there needs to be more going on in terms of changes. Give the drums a reason to shine, as it were. I'd like the focus to have a good reason to be on the drums, and straight loops aren't doing it for me.

The arrangement has a couple of issues as well: There are some extended sections that tend to stray a little to far away for the source for my liking. I didn't time stamp it, but it feels like it might be a little bit low for the source-original ratio. I'd like to hear more of all three different sections of the source in there, and right now I only was able to firmly hear two. The ending is also somewhat abrupt, and could stand to be a bit stronger.

I think you have the base here for a mix, but it needs a decent amount of work. Try to focus on really making the DnB the focus of this track, and get some of those sound fixes in here. NO

The high end synths are pretty grating to me, as well, and there seemed to be some low end mud, but otherwise i think the synths gelled together pretty well, and though there was a little much treble, and not as much bass, the drum sound was good. The volume is a bit loud too, as my ears were throbbing after listening, even at a reduced volume.

The drums themselves have a ton of energy, but feel static because of how mechanical the patterns were. The hi hat seemed to be hitting at the same velocity for each instance, and when they are being played that fast, it's pretty distracting.

Arrangement was pretty solid, and had a lot of good ideas, and I was definitely feeling the frantic groove here, but a few detail areas seemed to be ignored, like no drum fills at all, or anything to take the place of a transition element. The ending was also weaksauce. It just stopped. :-(

The expansion with some of the crazy bass slides I really enjoyed, though might have been too much compared to the distinct source sections.

Overall I like it, but there are a lot of nitpicky things that bring it down. This would be a very good candidate for resubmission.

No, please resubmit

Oof, my ears! Less volume/compression, please. Especially since the first few seconds are quiet, you don't want to assault the listeners!

You're off to a good start with this mix. The arrangement is pretty solid, but I agree with basically everything OA pointed out: drum pattern needs more variation, the ending is a little weak, and aside from the volume/compression issues the high end is too screechy on its own. Fix those things up, and then we'll be talking! ^_^

NO (resubmit)