link:

remixn' name: DJ DUG

email: goldfinger311@comcast.net

site: www.dougsdomain.tk

userid: no idea... so forget that.

game: Perfect Dark

song: Chicago

remixed name: In the Not Too Distant Future

You may recall this doozy from a while ago, but this version is tottaly different... hopefully good different. so.. rock on.

At 0:55 I knew something was already going to be wrong. Drums are ok, but the song lacks around them. Lots of great samples, but general lack in arrangement. The riffs at 1:00 and 2:24 aren't exactly 'off key', but rather 'notation that I don't think was very well used' to put it lightly. I dont much like whats happening then.

Percussion is good to pass, but the arrangement must be retooled. Better ending should be tried. Go for some better arrangement in general.

NO

This is in desperate need of middle frequencies. I thought it was way too sparse for the kind of mix this is. Especially with the dominating kick drums. I felt this was overall shallow and given the sparseness, the ambience was uninteresting. More layers are needed in my opinion. The mix does get much better as it goes along. Ending needs more beyond a generic abrupt stop like that.

Not bad, but there's not much to this either arrangement wise, production or composition for me to pass. More work needed. NO

There isn't much here to listen to, and while this is a chill-out kind of track, the pad needs to be more present, it isn't enveloping enough. The sub-bass fills out the song nicely at points, however many people will never hear that part of the song, ever. This could do with some filling out, well a lot actually. This needs some more work.

NO

I do like the idea of the sub-bass though, we don't get much of that.

This track has a lot going for it. Pretty effective use of percussion throughout, and the pads are straight radical. The bass is pretty good too, although a bit of an envelope on a filter or volume might have made it less static and "buzzy".

What this sounds like is an intro for a more upbeat, melodic tune. I realize that down-low is the attempt here, but it tends to reiterate itself rather liberally, and that gets me tuning out about halfway through. More variety needed. Sometimes synth use is a bit hodge-podge, the delayed synth at 2:33 doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the atmosphere as well as it could.

I'm having a little trouble recognizing the source tune here. I'm trying not be hippocritical, as my own Chicago remix is pretty damned interpretive. I've got no problem with highly creative work, but I really am having a lot of trouble recognizing any Perfect Dark tunage in here other than a modified version of the Chicago arpeggio.

Let's hear more definition between sections, some more dynamic contrast and maybe a bit more direct musical expression.

Almost there.

NO

-D

I actually was working on my vote as Dan made his, but still wanted to comment. I'm going ahead to technically give this a 5th NO, but certainly wanted to express how much I enjoyed this one. I'm not familiar with the Perfect Dark source tune and there's no USF rip out for it yet, so I have to simply go by what I heard here and hope this was a viable arrangement, that is not too liberal.

Indeed this was a very promising submission, and I enjoyed it despite how relatively minimal-sounding this was. Good sounds and separation for the intro going up to :53. You gradually built things up well once additional elements like the melodic synth in the forefront (:53) and the bassline (1:01) came in. Nice sounding work.

The drums starting at 1:31 really hurt this though, as the compression on them seemed to distort and clip. No dice, for me. At 2:10, the new drum choice was too loud to be so plodding and detracted from the atmosphere you set up. Scale them back and provide a little more variation in the sequencing. The bongos were already doing a good job of providing varied, well-sequenced percussion patterns though, which is why the other drum patterns only need a little work IMO.

The lack of transition at 2:33 was too abrupt for me and the key change there was a bit jarring as well. The synth melody you had was too repetitive though, until 3:04 finally switched things up. Perhaps cut out a phrase within 2:33-3:04 so that section doesn't drag on like it currently does or add a bit more melodic-style content on top of it to give it more substance so that the repetitiveness isn't as much of an issue.

Finally, at 3:04 though that plodding drumwork returned. Again, work on that drumwork to help it accentuate the material better, and think of a ending that provides a lot more resolution to the listener rather than what's in place now, as it's come across as fairly lazy and "I ran out of ideas"-ish.

Great foundations are in place here, Doug, and I enjoyed most of the sounds. I feel bad there isn't more melodic meat/content in some places, but I didn't judge on that. Just posting to show my support for your ideas so far, and I really hope you'll consider all the suggestions here for another resubmission. I didn't have so much of a problem with the spareness of the sounds, but they're another area that should be looked at. You may or may not want to continue on with this idea, depending on how old it is and so forth, but this came along fairly nicely and wasn't too bad on the whole. Very interesting stuff that needs a bit more, bro.