*NO* Unreal Tournament 2004 'Neptarium'

DragonAvenger

Game: UT2004

Song: Level 8

Additional info: The song level 8 does not have any other name other than level 8 according to sources. It was made by Starsky Partridge according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_soundtracks)

Name Of Remix: Neptarium

Link to original song: [Youtube Link Below]

Link to remix:

Comments: I was inspired by my friend who loves this song, so I decided to remix it to see what he'd think of it. I am also inspired by Justice as you can probably hear (that is if you've heard of them). In AuxiliaryInput we're two, but I (Elias) composed the song while Matthew (the other guy in AuxiliaryInput) mastered and fixed it it up a bit.

The song was 99% made using Record with Reason 4 only, I had to use some other program to time stretch the reverb ending there. I really love making distorted guitar like sounds, so the guitar lead and all that is all synthesized. I am also a fan of analog tape sound so I tried to make it sound a bit old, but not too old.

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: AuxiliaryInput

Email: sboyto@gmail.com

ForumID: 22460

We are two in AuxiliaryInput, Elias Hogstvedt (the sender of this email) and Matthew Clifton. Although I composed the song, Matthew mastered and mixed it, he also deserves a lot of credit.

I'm sorry if the commentary isn't long enough, I have a huge problem with writing biographies and the like for some reason.

-----------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcVDA6a9I4

I am tentative to vote on this one simply due to the fact that the original track is strictly ambient, and the mix, while different, doesn't really do that much more to it. Thinking it through, though, I think the fact that there is some expansion and a lot of additions, plus the changes in the synths that give it a grittier feel is enough to put this one into the (Vote changed below) category. I could honestly see this going either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool song regardless of site standards. I hear the Justice inspiration in the deliberate overcompression and the raw leads, and it sounds like you've got some references to the guitar solo in Aerodynamic in there for added French house fun.

This is certainly personalized, I guess the question is whether it's too liberal. For a song as ambient as Level 8, a song with barely any melody components at all, a valid remix for the site would probably need to use as much source as possible. That's not the case here. The chord progression is pretty distinctive, and the third chord is changed every time. In addition, the octave background synth from the original, pretty much the only thing that can be considered a melody, isn't there. Even with those parts intact, this would be questionable because of the wholly new sections. Without them, this is more of an inspired-by original track than an arrangement. Again, good stuff, just IMO not in the window of what we take. If you have any material that arranges a VGM song more conservatively, please send it!

NO

Tough call, but i'd expect nothing less with a source track that vague. :-)

The production and synth choices were great, I was definitely feeling the rawness of the track. :-)

Arrangement does get a little too liberal. There were some great ideas, but i think the source itself was altered too much for me to be comfortable passing. I second Vinnie's suggestion that you continue to submit to the site, because your work is very good, but it needs to be something a little more recognizable.

No