Gumshoe Remix

eppskevin

Gumshoe's theme. It's the only track in the Phoenix Wright games that I'm familiar with.

First of all, I recommend linking to an Mp3 of the track, since Youtube has the funny habit of overcompressing the music, leading to poor quality. I can't tell when the overcompression is due to Youtube or the track.

As I said earlier, the track seems very overcompressed. There's just no space for the music to move, at all, so everything sounds the same dynamically. Not only that, the sound often dies in order to introduce more sound, whenever you add new textures to the track. That's not too good - turn off the compressor, use the volume on your mixer (and on the individual tracks, if needed for the sake of balance) and try to get your volume that way. After you've gone as far as you can go without the compressors and limiters, use those tools to increase the volume by a little.

The arrangement itself is pretty fun, actually. It could use a little bit of an introduction, because as it is the music just starts out of the blue, which disorients the listener. It could use an ending, as well, since... well, the FO sounds a little lame. Other than that, I like the arrangement aspect of it.

The overall EQ needs to focus much less on the highs and more on the mids, there. There's a lot of static in there, which could easily be fixed by lowering the highs, and adding to the mids could give the sound more depth.

The sounds used are pretty conservative. It sounds like you took the original soundfiles and rearranged them to make up a new tune. That's not a bad thing, really - I like that effect. Just for an FYI, OCR would not accept it due to that fact, but you never said you wanted it to be an OCR track, anyway, so don't worry about that too much (unless, of course, you wanted it to be an OCR track, in which case now you know :mrgreen:).

Overall, good work, and there are some of the areas you could improve. When that's all cleaned up I'm sure others could hear some other places that could use cleaning up, as well. Good luck with it.

What Gario says about the production and the sounds sounded spot on to me.

Very cool arrangement! Recognizable, but definitely your own. I agree with Gario about the ending, but I felt the current beginning was ok, it just goes straight to business. It of course wouldn't hurt if you experimented a bit to try out some sort of an intro, effective intros are cool.

--Eino

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm probably going to put a slight intro in, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of songs that take FOREVER to get to just something. I personally think an intro shouldn't last 30 secs to a minute. But, that's just my personal opinion.

You guys were definitely right about the quality, yuck! I reuploaded a version with better quality. I actually used a WAV file this time, since those are uncompressed, and that got rid of feedback:

That ending is just something I really just threw up there for right now until I incorporate a better ending. I may mix some more parts inside the song as well. This is a very rough first draft.

Yeah, I was trying to get be bit of the high frequency to bring out the piano notes as I was trying to incorporate those as well.

Does this version sound better to you guys?