Awesome string quartet tribute

Zergonaleash

If anyone is a fan of The Mars Volta I would highly recommend you check out this string quartet tribute album.

Here's a youtube link,

And if you know of any other cool string quartet tributes, post them. I know there was an album called Strung Out on Thrice, I'm not sure if it was the same quartet but I regret never having checked it out.

That WAS awesome. How come nobody else cares about this? It's really dramatic. I can tell you about something old school I used to listen to. I don't think it's a tribute but it was called "What if Mozart Wrote Beethoven". It's a fun string quartet album by the Hampton Rock String Quartet. I think they're all originals. Here was my favorite from when I was a kid.

Apocalyptica - Nothing else matters

Whilst technically isn't a quartet, they're still a string group. And that cover is awesome.

To quoth wikipedia:

Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band from Helsinki, Finland, formed in 1993. The band is composed of classically trained cellists and, since 2003, a drummer. Three of the cellists are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland. Their music features elements from classical music and neo-classical metal, to symphonic metal and thrash metal. They have sold over three million albums to date.

The Vitamin String Quartet has an incredible tribute discography, it's worth a listen!

Worth a listen... and a repeat... and a repeat... and a repeat... you get the point, right?

Here's a fun example with "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce :

Wow. I think I have a new favorite String Quartet cover song.

Another amazing example:

(Honestly, I think I prefer this version over the original.)

But yeah, basically any of the String Quartet albums are worth checking out. And they have a lot of them, covering a range of different rock/metal groups (and possibly non-rock; I've never really checked).