Artist: Aerosteak

Real names: Serge Sentis & Thomas Pison

Email: aerosteak@free.fr

Game: Marble Madness (level 4)

Composer: ???

System: Arcade

OCR forums user id: aerosteak

links to original themes: http://www.bodenstaendig.de/marble/bin/marble4.mp3

(we can't find links to the second loop which is also part of the level 4 of the game)

link to remix:

We are two french musicians addicted to experimental electronica and rock.

Being HUGE Marble Madness fans, we had no other choice than remixing some part of its music. The reason why we chose this specific level is that it is not particularly demanding (two short loops make the whole theme), so we could "re-arrange" the whole thing and try to add some melody to it in order to counterbalance the dark and epileptic beats. Almost every sound is extracted from the MM pcb (using M1). We filtered and twisted these sounds to make them fit in the mix better and add some atmosphere to the harsh sample loops and the break-corish beats. We hope you'll enjoy what you hear and excuse us for our poor english.

TIA

Sergio & Thomas

Epiliptic is right. This is downright seizure-inducing. Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge about the genre, but I'm not a big fan of this.

However, there's some crazy sampling retriggering going on here; really weird and chaotic; kinda cool.

Still, the opening really follows the original verbatim, and there's not much interpretation as far as the music goes. It's mostly just the original with similar sounds with creative breakcore loops thrown over it. Not much in the way of a remix, and not much in the way of what this site aims for. Try releasing it on the WIP, or at VGMix; there's gotta be an audience for this kind of stuff somewhere.

NO

so yeah...this certainly has some...creative elements. however i think the work done with the theme is very minimal. the track rests on the jarring percussion or whatever that is. it certainly qualifies as a unique audio creation, but musically it doesnt have anything going for it. certainly interesting, but not what OCR is looking for.

NO

Wow yeah this is what I'm talking about. You guys can't handle these kinda beats! But I allow you, because you're not used to this kind of thing. This sounds similar to underground garage we have in London here, very jarring-like beats using harsh industrial-type sounds.

However, the percussion on this doesn't keep a steady time throughout the piece, it just stops and starts without warning (0.53-0.59 no) (2.10-2.30 yes), There isn't much more to the mix than the percussion either, and that means that there isn't really a lot to listen to unfortunately.

NO

This could have been pulled off if there had been more to this than just beats.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/marble.zip - NSF Track 4

Pretty sparse sounds throughout. Not bad breakbeat-style stuff, but there's not much cohesiveness or observable structure here. The lead is incredibly generic-sounding and flat. Too bad too, because I liked the attention to panning heard in some portions of the mix.

Interesting slowdown dealie at 1:00 only for a new section to take over at 1:38, but that also was sparse and flat just like the very beginning of the track. The delivery here is so flat that it tanked this one out of the gate.

As elements dropped out at 3:12 going towards the finish, I was reminded of how incoherent the whole thing turned out. As an arrangement idea it sounds unsalvagable to me, since it deals too minimally with the source, so it's best to just wrap this up with a NO.